Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70871 by Shawn
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:56 am
In this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10208
there were discussion and step by step instructions of how to hook up an Ooma device in a WiFi environment using a computer running windows xp. When traveling outside US, a lot of hotel establishments only supply ethernet service for computers. If one would like to use the Ooma iPhone app to call US, WiFi is required. The situation is kind of in reverse. I travel with my netbook running windows xp, will someone care to give me a step by step of how to setup Wifi in this condition?
#70875 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:13 am
I think you need an ethernet switch. Plug the switch into hotel internet so your computer and Ooma can share the connection.
#70881 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:16 am
Shawn wrote:May be I was not clear enough. I need WiFi for the iPhone/iTouch.

Oops, morning brain seizure. :P
Just bring a wireless router with you, wouldn't that solve your problem?
#70926 by Shawn
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:29 am
With airlines charging for luggage, one needs to travel light. Just trying to utilize the netbook if it can do the job.
#70928 by ajw522
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:33 am
Shawn wrote:With airlines charging for luggage, one needs to travel light. Just trying to utilize the netbook if it can do the job.

Unfortunately, without a wireless router, your netbook won't be able to connect wirelessly in your hotel. However, routers nowadays are very cheap, and some are very small, lightweight, and portable.
#70935 by EricJRW
Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 am
Does your Netbook have an Ethernet port?

In the hotel are you using the Ethernet port or the hotel's WiFi (for your Netbook)?

I must admit to be a bit confused as to how the iPhone/iTouch fit in. Is this too via the hotel's WiFi, or you want to create your own little wireless environment via the hotel's Internet (which I'm still a bit confused if the hotel is wired or wireless).

I'm assuming the Netbook has an Ethernet port (and the hotel is wireless), in which case I don't see how this any different from the post your referenced. Maybe I'm missing something, but you are essentially using the Netbook as a bridge. I will admit not having looked at the thread you linked, but it seems you would need to deploy Internet connection sharing and share the WiFi connection with your Ethernet port. Then the ooma should be able to find the Internet via your Netbook bridge.

If your Netbook does not have an Ethernet port, then your do need a Wireless Access Device (WAP) that can be configured as a bridge, thus bridging the WiFi side (hotel) with its physical Ethernet ports (for the ooma). It would be best to configure and test the WAP at home, as you made need to plug in an Ethernet cable to get the WAP configured (assuming the WAP does not provide wireless access out of the box - some do, some don't).

BTW, a WAP is not that big, you'll just have to decide what's more valuable... ooma or luggage space.

Last thought... Would the ooma app (for iPhone) help in any way? Maybe paired with Google voice? I'm kinda new to both these concepts, but just wanted to toss the idea out.
#70939 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:58 am
EricJRW, Shawn is looking for a way to get wifi for the iPhone app when there is only wired internet available at the hotel.
#70951 by EricJRW
Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:07 pm
Ah, thanks... So is the hotel wired or not? I wonder if you can share Internet on an ad-hoc network? In this case the iPhone would connect to the Netbook, which is wired to the hotel ISP. Anyway, does sound like the WAP is the best route.
#71033 by Shawn
Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 pm
lbmofo wrote:EricJRW, Shawn is looking for a way to get wifi for the iPhone app when there is only wired internet available at the hotel.

lbmofo understood exactly what I am after. Hotel supplies wired internet, netbook has ethernet port and is running windows xp. I am trying to get wifi to run iPhone app without added luggage and new hardware beyond the netbook.

In the thread from my original post, there is a way to get wired connection for an Ooma equipment in a wireless environment using a pc, I thought the reverse could be possible. That is the solution I need.