Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#78688 by psylcum
Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 pm
i think they just take all the RMA units and clean them up and ship them right back out... the unit i got was DOA also... after having to call ooma 3 weeks AFTER it was ordered to remind them to SHIP the unit.... was looking forward to the handset after waiting a month for it and it turns out to be dead... gonna have to call support tomorrow and see what they are going to do... may do some serious ooma slamming on all of the review sites if they dont give some kind of satisfactory answer to this whole issue...
#80847 by okooma
Fri May 06, 2011 7:23 pm
I have a question regarding charging the handset. When I put it on the cradle, the blue light is on indicating it is charging. While on the cradle the charge indicator continues to flash no matter how long it has been the cradle. I let it charge initially for over 24 hours before using. Does it ever show a full charge and indicator stop rising from bottom to top? I do notice when I take it off the cradle it shows a full charge. I called support and received two different answers.
#80856 by lbmofo
Fri May 06, 2011 10:27 pm
As long as the cradle shows blue light, you are fine. The battery charge indicator icon should stop once fully charged. But even when fully charged, just picking handset up and putting back in cradle would cause the icon to flash for a minute or two, then stop.
#80858 by ajw522
Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 pm
Just got a new Telo Handset, and while the handset works fine, it doesn't charge when put on the cradle given to me with the phone. I had a Handset previously, and the new handset charges fine on the old cradle. I have to jiggle it or plop it onto the charger on and off again to finally make the Handset get a connection. I'll contact Support for an RMA, I guess.
#84604 by ffh
Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:17 pm
I too had the exact same symptoms: brand new Telo Handset, just got it today. Placed the handset into the charger base and the blue light would not come on. If I wiggled the handset in the base, it would flash on, but not stay lit.

Having worked in electronics and computer, I took a pen knife and cleaned the contacts on the phone and the base. It now works great. I was not looking forward to having to do an RMA. :D

Electronic contacts exposed to high humidity can increase likelihood of them becoming oxidized, even when they are new sitting in a warehouse inside it's packaging (unless it is a sealed package).

Suggestion to Ooma quality control: have manufacturer seal the phone and charge base in plastic baggies with moisture absorption packs, or change the alloys used to a different material less likely to oxidize. Hopefully, this is a simple fix.
#85428 by ericguttormson
Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am
I also have the problem described in this thread. I waited for over a month to get my brand new OOMA handset (directly from OOMA) and it does not hold a charge longer than a few minutes. When I charge the handset all night long the blue light indicator is brightly lit which should mean my handset is charging just fine, but that isn't the case as the phone drains within minutes after removing it from the charging base. It also appears that my charging base is previously used. I can see some sort of sticker residue on the back of the unit (it appears that there was a sticker covering the OOMA logo on the back of the charging base).

I am very frustrated with the quality of the handset. Not only is it not functional but frankly it's pretty cheap looking even if it did work. The display is horrible and it has very limited functionality. For $49 you should get a pretty nice phone.

I might be able to look past the cheapness of the product if it only worked.
#85437 by murphy
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:01 am
The blue light does not indicate that charging is taking place.
It indicates the handset has made contact with the charger.
Charging is indicated by an animation of the battery level indicator on the handset display.
The animation stops when the battery is fully charged.
Once charging stops the handset is running on the battery, not the charger.
If the handset sits on the charging stand for days at a time without being used the battery will run down.
The handset has to be taken off of the charging stand and replaced to restart charging.
#85442 by ericguttormson
Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:17 am
murphy wrote:Charging is indicated by an animation of the battery level indicator on the handset display.
The animation stops when the battery is fully charged.

My phone's battery animation is doing its thing when the phone is on the charger which indicates it is charging.

I left the phone on the charger from night until morning (not days.. but hours - about 10). The battery indicator shows completely full (a completely black battery icon). Then within minutes of non-use (the phone is just sitting on my desk) the battery is drained and begins and annoying beeping sound.

I called support and I believe they are sending me a new unit although they were not very specific about their plan.
#85769 by MikeDupp
Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:28 pm
Yet another defective handset owner here. Same story as everyone else. Brand new handset arrived today from Dell. Installed battery, put on charger and got the blue light. No flashing battery indicator while on the charger, and the back panel gets very warm. I was able to register the handset with the Telo, but the battery indicator will not move past 1/8th charge. It has probably spent over 10 hours today on the charger.

Is there any consensus on what the faulty part is, the battery or the charger? I would rather stick a fork in my eye than try to setup an RMA with customer service over the phone, so if spending $10 on a replacement battery will save me from that, I am all for it.