Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70532 by lyster
Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:14 pm
For no apparent reason, our OOMA has lost dialtone and will not receive calls. In fact, it appears to be out of service - except the blue lights are all on (no red or blinking lights). What makes this all the more frustrating is that there was nothing that caused this - at least nothing we can recall. It just stopped working. I've tried turning it off, waiting, and turning it back on, but that does not help.
#70538 by ntoy
Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:46 pm
Hello,

The last log I see was yesterday. Anything change? Are you seeing link lights on the "To Internet" port on the back of the telo?
Did you try powering off the entire chain? In other words, if you have configured:

Modem>Ooma>Router

1. Power off all devices
2. Power Modem on first & allow time for it to come online
3. Power Ooma on & allow some time.
4. Router last to power
#70664 by lyster
Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 pm
Tried that. Didn't help. Still no dial tone. The light next to the ethernet cable in the back is on - occasional blink. All blue lights are on. No red lights. I tried plugging in a different telephone - but same result (no dial tone).
#70714 by ntoy
Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:40 am
There is no dialtone on your phone connected to the phone port? Tried a different phone? Do you have a telo handset to try?
#70720 by lyster
Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am
Yes, I did plug in another telephone to see if that might have been the problem. Still no dialtone. We had been up and running for over 6 months now - through power outages - no problem. We picked up the phone last week and - well, there's no dial tone. Nothing unusual happened (at least so far as I know) to have caused this. Tried several times shutting down as suggested. Made sure all the wires are connected. The Ooma's lights are all blue, but still no dialtone. Our internet service is working fine.
#70721 by ntoy
Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:35 am
lyster wrote:Yes, I did plug in another telephone to see if that might have been the problem. Still no dialtone. We had been up and running for over 6 months now - through power outages - no problem. We picked up the phone last week and - well, there's no dial tone. Nothing unusual happened (at least so far as I know) to have caused this. Tried several times shutting down as suggested. Made sure all the wires are connected. The Ooma's lights are all blue, but still no dialtone. Our internet service is working fine.

On last thing - with the speaker on & you press the play button, are you able to hear the Ooma greeting from the telo speaker? It sounds like the phone port maybe bad. I would suggest contacting our support line for possible rma.
#70725 by murphy
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 am
Are you sure that the phone is connected to the phone port and not the wall port?
#70727 by lyster
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 am
I called customer service. I moved the Ooma outside of the router and plugged in my phone directly (rather than through the house wiring). It worked. So, I assume something must be awry with my house wiring.
Having the Ooma outside of the router (between the modem and the router) is not my preferred configuration. I have a D-Link DIR-825 router, with all the typical QOS/ port forwarding / virtual server capability. I had the Ooma working behind that router before, so now (after getting off the line with the customer service representative) when I move the ethernet cables back to where they were before I'm not getting a connection with Ooma - and I hear only a busy signal. The blue lights at the top of the unit blink, but the Ooma logo never appears (either blue or red).
Do I need to open ports on the router, and if so which ones?