Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70426 by grecni
Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 am
I just upgraded from a Hub to Telco. I have a primer account with a second line. Is there any way form a Telco handset to dial out on the second line when the first line is not in use? I use the second line as a home office line and want to dial out on that and leave the first line open for my family's use.

My thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Jim
#70428 by WayneDsr
Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 am
Unless you have 2 numbers, one assigned to a Telo handset, the lines are just virtual lines. There is no actual Line One and Line Two.
The first call in or out is on line 1 and the second call in or out is on the instant second (virtual) line 2.

Wayne
#70429 by murphy
Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 am
Even if you have two numbers and have one assigned to a handset the first call placed will use the first physical line and the second call placed will use the second physical line. There is no correlation between the phone numbers and the physical lines.
#70433 by grecni
Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:23 am
If I purchase a 2cd Telco handset, set it up as a personal device and then assign the second number to it, would that handset then work just with the second number?
#70434 by murphy
Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 am
grecni wrote:If I purchase a 2cd Telco handset, set it up as a personal device and then assign the second number to it, would that handset then work just with the second number?

Yes
#70437 by WayneDsr
Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am
grecni wrote:If I purchase a 2cd Telco handset, set it up as a personal device and then assign the second number to it, would that handset then work just with the second number?

That was my point on assigning a number to a phone.

Wayne
#70778 by oomg
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:19 am
grecni wrote:I just upgraded from a Hub to Telco. I have a primer account with a second line. Is there any way form a Telco handset to dial out on the second line when the first line is not in use? I use the second line as a home office line and want to dial out on that and leave the first line open for my family's use.

My thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Jim

I will just repeat some of what I just posted regarding a similar topic.

IMHO, the ability to segregate the two numbers available with Premier service is the big advantage of the Hub/Scout system. Not only can one dedicate the numbers as has been suggested, but two separate calls can be made at the same time using either number. Yes, so long as I am not on my dedicated second number (i.e., my personal home/office number), two separate calls (incoming or outgoing) can take place on the primary number so long as different cordless systems are used to make or accept those calls. Try that one with your POTS.

My Ooma system has be in place for almost two years now. It has greatly exceeded my expectations. I think I would feel lost without it.

I hope you did not discard the Hub/Scout system you had. To me the simple solution would be to use the Hub/Scout system for one application (e.g. family) and use the Telo for the other application. BTW, I also have a Telo system at another location and realize that it has some features that are not available on the Hub. Moreover, it may be the preferable system for certain applications. However, for most of my purposes, I prefer the ability to segregate the second number as can be done with the Scout. In fact, the only thing on my Ooma wish list is some sort of wireless Scout.
#71024 by grecni
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:47 am
I did like the ability to segregate the lines using the HUB and Scout but I had problems with people complaining about my voice quality when on conference calls. I use the second line for a home office. Overall the quality was fine except for conference calls. This is why I decided to try upgrading to the Telo.

I have been able to get the same segregation by purchasing a second Telo handset. I have my second number dedicated to this device. This way when I make out going calls on that handset I am always using the second line and not tying up the first line for incoming home calls.

Since making the upgrade I have had no complaints about my voice quality during conference calls, so I'm happy. The only complaint I have is the lack of a headset port on the Telo handset. So I keep a regular handset in my office as well, make the out going call on the Telo handset and then transfer the call to the handset with the headset or to my bluetooth headset. A bit of a kludge but it works.