Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70141 by jamie985
Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm
CS at least sends some emails to you before they ignore you; what does it take to get CS from OOMA?!!

Specifically, I have now been bumped up to the next support level, but it's been over 8 days and the "next level of support" has not contacted me or replied to my emails- what kind of service is that?

My issue (which I have been battling for 12 months) is my Canon Imageclass MF8350 CDN sets off my OOMA "do not disturb" when printing or copying. Furthermore, it cuts off the phone if it is being used at this time- sending incoming calls directly to voicemail. When the phone rings, you can hear a relay reacting inside the printer. Clearly there is some kind of protocol problem.

I have changed my router, changed my operating system and changed the location of the Telo (before/after the router). They all produce the same problem.

8 days ago OOMA CS agreed that this needed to go to the next level after much pleading from me. And since then..nothing!!

Perhaps this venue will get their attention; this problem makes the OOMA a real problem to use.
#70153 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 am
Try disconnecting your FAX phone lines from your Canon MF8350CDN printer, than Do a test print.
If there is no improvement:
Try disconnecting the LAN network cable, and connect printer to a computer using the USB connection. Load software in computer as required, per your printer installation manual. Than Do a test print.
Report findings.
#70157 by Bill_B
Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:17 pm
I think many that purchase Ooma service will probably come to the realization that they are still "Early Adopters" of these products. Long gone are the days of bringing home an electronic "appliance" and plugging it in, with the biggest worry of where you are going to put it and will it match the decor. Having it perform its function as advertised was a given; something you really didn't worry about, because it just worked.

While I commend Ooma for a great idea, this is a rather complicated set of devices promising a sophisticated array of features for relatively little cost. They do seem to have some timely support, but I suspect that, technically, they are overwhelmed by their success. The permutations of real-world configurations are too many and the vast market of existing networking AND telephone/fax devices make it improbable to guarantee compatibility or even support.
#70161 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm
Yes at times it does seem like Ooma is a town in a Wild West Frontier, and we pioneers have to make do with what we have, and we have to put up with the hardships that are always present in a Wild West Frontier town. I would suspect that on whole Ooma has on staff some really upstanding caring highly skilled technical and business front line people that could, with hard work, and proper direction, make Ooma a roaring success. But past experiences make me suspect the Ooma also has some bumbling managers that are “Much Less-Than”, who are sucking the blood and choking the life out of Ooma. I for one can see that Ooma has some really great ideas, want to see Ooma succeed, and wish Ooma only the best.
#70162 by DTMF
Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:52 pm
In small technology companies like Ooma with limited resources and grand ambitions, there's a tug-of-war about devoting engineering resources. The two sides of the battle are: a) extending the feature set in new directions and b) fixing things that are broken. You can guess which of those two sides is more appealing to both management and to engineers. The only time those two sides diverge is when the thing that is broken is costing the company big money. ;)

I of course have no insider knowledge about Ooma, so that paragraph should be considered an educated guess about why the OP's issue would not be a fix that a "squeaky-wheel approach" can help to be moved up in the queue.
#70163 by jamie985
Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:05 pm
The problem is NOT due to Canon; their printer worked very well before and after my OOMA installation. There is clearly a crosstalk issue with network protocols. OOMA support is aware of this, but at present I am stuck at their "second level of support" with no replies for 9 days.

I have removed my fax line and the problem persists. When printing or copying the "do not disturb" gets activated (generally twice during the print job). If a call is in process, it is immediately dumped to voicemail.

I don't have an issue with being an early adopter, what I have an issue with is OOMA's lack or responsiveness to a very reproducible error.
#70193 by DTMF
Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:35 am
jamie985 wrote:The problem is NOT due to Canon; their printer worked very well before and after my OOMA installation. There is clearly a crosstalk issue with network protocols. OOMA support is aware of this, but at present I am stuck at their "second level of support" with no replies for 9 days.

I have removed my fax line and the problem persists. When printing or copying the "do not disturb" gets activated (generally twice during the print job). If a call is in process, it is immediately dumped to voicemail.

I don't have an issue with being an early adopter, what I have an issue with is OOMA's lack or responsiveness to a very reproducible error.

Without a log of network traffic, I don't see how you can definitively say that this problem is not Canon's. If their printer is sending out spurious packets that trigger actions in other devices on the LAN, the problem could be theirs. You just happen to be "lucky" enough to only have one other device that's affected by the spurious traffic.

If you're convinced that these two devices are interacting, why not put them on a network switch or in separate subnets on your LAN? Either of those solutions would prevent them from seeing each other's packets.
#70199 by tommies
Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:02 am
FYI: this have nothing to do with ooma, (telo or hub)

I recently installed a Lexmark all-in-one wireless (prospect pro 205) and every time my cordless phone (Uniden 1508 Dect. 6.0) rings, the printer wakes up from standby. Even turning the printer off (but still plugged in) won't fix it: the phone rings and the printer turns itself on.

My guess is this is not isolated, and as more devices become LAN/network aware, the more (crosstalk) to come.

On the OP problem
DTMF wrote:Without a log of network traffic, I don't see how you can definitively say that this problem is not Canon's. If their printer is sending out spurious packets that trigger actions in other devices on the LAN, the problem could be theirs. You just happen to be "lucky" enough to only have one other device that's affected by the spurious traffic.

DTMF is correct here, without a log, nothing can be said for sure. My guess here is the Canon printer does some broadcast to advertise its services. Also, ooma can be more defensive, checking the packet's source ip, and ignores those that not from ooma servers. However, I don't think this will be on ooma drawing board any time soon.
If you're convinced that these two devices are interacting, why not put them on a network switch or in separate subnets on your LAN? Either of those solutions would prevent them from seeing each other's packets.

Easy said than done. Even one willing to buy a second router to create a second subnet (say 192.168.1.x in addition to the main 192.168.0.x), I still don't think many routers(marketing for home users) out there can handle more than one subnet.
At less, you can put ooma in one subnet, and every thing else on another.