Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70104 by jjlink
Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:50 am
I was trying to replace my Cradlepoint MBR1000 (100MB) router with a new model MBR1200 (1GB) router. Using exactly the same physical setup. However I cannot get the MBR1200 to connect to the Ooma Telo (100MB device) on the MBR1200's WAN port.

This setup does connect on WAN port: MBR1000 --> Ooma Telo ---> Cable Modem.
This setup wont connect on WAN port: MBR1200 --> Ooma Telo ---> Cable Modem.

I tried setting the MBR1200 WAN port to 100MB Full Duplex as well as Auto Negotiate, but neither would allow it to connect.

Any suggestions on how to connect the MBR1200 to the Ooma Telo (100MB hub)?
#70118 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:49 am
I use a Cradlepoint MBR1200 Router. The Cradlepoint MBR1200 Router provides very good QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. I connect my Ooma Telo Internet port to one of the four orange LAN Ports. The forth LAN port can be configured to WAN or LAN by going to the MBR1200 Router setup pages: Advanced, Failover/Load Balance, than go down to Ethernet Wan Switch Settings. I have mine set to LAN. When done, go to top of page and save settings.

Below are some guidelines that take a little time to setup, but work very well for me.

General Outline for Setting up Ooma Behind (on Local Area Network side of) Router.

The steps below are just suggestions. Your may choose to use some or all of the Outline steps below, depending on your equipment and network requirements.

1. Optional suggestion: Install Cat 6 shielded patch cables from modem to router and from router to Ooma device.
2. Ooma device:
a. Enable Ooma device’s built-in MAC address.
b. Assign static IP address (IP number obtained from your router) in the Ooma device.
c. Disable QoS in Ooma device by setting upload/download settings to zero.
3. Verify that your router provides support for QoS (Quality of Service) VoIP priority. (Some router manufactures use similar but different names for QoS), reference check router manual.
4. Enable router QoS settings as required, reference check router manual.
5. Place your Ooma device into your router’s DMZ (Cradlepoint Suggestion) using the static IP address you assigned to your Ooma device, reference check router manual.
6. Create in router, router rule(s) to open Ooma ports, (Setup location sometimes found in router gaming menu) reference check router manual.
a. Ooma uses the following application ports for data and voice traffic,
UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194, UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.
7. With Ooma device connected behind (LAN side of) router, don’t use Ooma home port. Use your router ports for other devices on your LAN system.
8. Do a cold boot of router.
9. Do a cold boot of Ooma device after router cold boot has been completed.
10. Optional suggestion: Test Ooma device VoIP phone system for a few days connected to only one wired phone.
#71376 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:10 am
jjlink: Thanks for the feedback.
The Cradlepoint MBR1200 gigabit router is a little pricey, but it was designed to provide a higher level of VoIP service, besides being able to connect to about any kind of Internet provider. I hope you enjoy Cradlepoint MBR1200 gigabit router as much as I have.