Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69703 by rblakely53
Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 am
I hooked up my OOMA between my cable modem and my Apple Airport router. Everything works, but my Airport router started blinking yellow. After I rebooted my computer, I received a pop-up indicating my Airport router needs to be reconfigured for a "bridged" network. I proceeded to make the recommended changes, reset the cable modem, and rebooted my computer. Now, I noticed that my IP address has changed on the Airport, DHCP comes from somewhere else, and that now my computer's IP address is following the new IP address.

Does OOMA have DHCP services built into it? Is there any way of turning this off, and just letting the Airport provide the DHCP service to my network?

Not the end of the world, but would like to know if this has been noticed by anyone else.

RAB
#69706 by murphy
Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:34 am
Ooma has a DHCP server that defaults to 172.27.35.x for the addresses that it issues. With the airport in bridge mode those are the addresses that you will get. You do not need to put the airport in bridge mode in spite of the warning. Apple seems to think that double NAT is a bad thing. It's actually more secure than single NAT.
#69722 by Jerry_NA
Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:30 pm
murphy wrote:Apple seems to think that double NAT is a bad thing. It's actually more secure than single NAT.

Unfortunately, Murphy is only partially correct.

1. It is not just Apple. Many people have found that imperfectly configured double network address translation (NAT) causes problems for computer networks, even home networks. There are many web pages explaining why and when this can happen; just Google "double NAT" for hundreds of pages. Only the simplest home networks (i.e. one computer that only browses the web) have no problems with double NAT unless it's modified to avoid problems. At the very least, double NAT can slow you down. Some VPN connections are unable to cope, for example, resulting in users losing their ability to connect to work networks from home. Double NAT may work for you now, Murphy, but if you ever modify your home setup to something more complex, you may need to use bridge mode.

2. Double NAT should not, by itself, be relied upon for increased security. NAT allows for one internet connection (external IP address) to be shared among multiple computers or devices in a local network. Any infected computer that shares the same router with other computers can infect them as well.
Last edited by Jerry_NA on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
#69731 by rblakely53
Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:34 pm
After I reconfigured my Airport for "bridged" mode, the status light went from yellow to green, and except for me having to change ip addresses on my printer, and rebooting all servers that I have (5 of them), it was really painless. Just when I memorized 192.168.1.x, now I have to remember a new network address!

Again, Thanks!

RAB