Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#70219 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm
The fact netTALK offers "Free calling to any other netTALK device worldwide" might be very attractive to international callers.
#70224 by murphy
Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:36 pm
EricJRW wrote:The fact netTALK offers "Free calling to any other netTALK device worldwide" might be very attractive to international callers.

Ooma has the same capability.
#70236 by lbmofo
Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:58 pm
thunderbird wrote:We continue to have problems with the international calling too. Last Friday Ooma support sent an E-mail blowing me off, again. My wife has become very concerned about the international calling Ooma initiated disconnects. The international calling Ooma initiated disconnects are followed by a recorded Ooma message saying that our minutes are used or with a similar statement. She is so concerned that she is going to start purchasing international calling phone cards again to make sure that she can make international calls using her cell phone when needed. I was watching TV the other night and a commercial came on for a VoIP provider called NetTalk. NetTalk is very similar to Ooma. NetTalk’s services are simpler, has less frills, and is more streamlined, but not as developed as Ooma’s services. The one service that really stood out was the NetTalk provides customer service seven days a week, and most important it seems that the NetTalk’s customers are very happy with their customer service. Since we are buying international calling phone cards again, and since Ooma don’t seem to have any intentions of correcting their international calling problems, we’ve been kicking around the idea of also subscribing to NetTalk’s VoIP service, while continuing to use Ooma. Than at the end of one year, we will probably use only the best provider. I’d like to see Ooma continue to have success, but who knows, Ooma might go under if they don’t improve their customer service.

My friends/family are using Ooma to call Asia without issues. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but the ones subscribed to an international plan also has some $ in the prepaid account to cover international calls not included in the plan. They tell me that they are not experiencing cut-offs when calling internationally. If haven't done so yet, you may want to provide CS with logs of calls that experienced this problem.

As for NetTalk, I've never used them so I don't know how the service is. But I experienced atrocious MagicJack in action and here is what MagicJack has said about NetTalk :)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7758&start=60#p55520
#70239 by EricJRW
Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:37 pm
When I bought my refurbished ooma hub from buy.com it can with a $20 international credit. My wife has yet to use it, but if I think of it, I'll post back her results (she may save it for calls at Lunar New Year).
#70383 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:01 pm
lbmofo wrote:
My friends/family are using Ooma to call Asia without issues. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but the ones subscribed to an international plan also has some $ in the prepaid account to cover international calls not included in the plan. They tell me that they are not experiencing cut-offs when calling internationally. If haven't done so yet, you may want to provide CS with logs of calls that experienced this problem.

Thunderbird wrote:
We do have fifty dollars in our prepaid account which we’ve never used at all. We also have subscribed to the one thousand minutes a month International calling package, which we’ve never totally used either.

I’ve become tired of going back and forth with Ooma trying to solve the International Calling disconnects, followed by Ooma finance messages, issues. I’m almost sure that the problems that we are having, were caused by our Ooma International Calling profile not being configured correctly. Whenever we have a disconnected call, an Ooma message will follow saying something like our minutes or prepaid account, are all used. This tells me that the problem has to be on Ooma’s end. If an Ooma person with the proper knowledge would view our International Calling profile, they probably could spot the problem and make corrections in just a few minutes. And if the International Calling problem can’t be found, than that part of our Ooma profile should be deleted, than reconfigured and added back to our profile. I used to work with a program that would sometimes place invisible characters in the text line. Than later validating the program would fail. I think the same type of problem could be happening with our Ooma International calling profile.
#70589 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:30 am
Info Only:
Today may wife made several Ooma International calls to China. At the begaining of the calls she still gets the 90 minute message, but there has been no Ooma call cut-offs, followed by a "Ooma finance message" demanding more money after the call was disconnected. So maybe someone fixed that part of our Internaitonal calling problems.
#71620 by nirajshah99
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 am
I signed up for Ooma yesterday. The installation was a breeze and the voice quality so far is great.

I also signed up for the 1000 min international bundle last night. I was trying to make a call this morning to europe and got the same 90 min message. My wife talked for 30 min and the quality was great. After she hung up, we tried calling back and still got the same 90 min message. I sent an email to customer service.So for I am just ignoring the message.

After reading through all these posts, it is surprising they haven't fixed it yet. If they claim to be a "different" kind of phone company, they really need to fix this. Also it is silly there is no counter on the dashboard that shows the number of minutes used. Coming from a tech background, I think it would be pretty straightforward to add up all minutes in a given month. Infact they can do that for US calls as well just to show people that they are not paying for all those calls, if anything.

We will see how it goes and will post an update in the next few weeks.
#71623 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:57 am
You're right nirajshah99.

Our International calling, except for the ninety minute warning, has lately been pretty good. This weekend my wife did have an Ooma disconnect after talking for about eighteen minutes to China. The Ooma message was that we needed to add more money to our prepaid account. We also have the 1000 minutes a month plan, plus have fifty dollars from the beginning, which we've never used. She hit redial and was able to reconnect and continue her phone call. She has also made several International calls after that, and other than the ninety minute thing, they have all worked okay.

You’re right that improvements and repairs should be made to International Calling, since International Calling is probably one of Ooma’s biggest money makers.