Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69686 by eddycurrents
Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:58 pm
First off, I added $10 to my prepaid account thinking that was required to buy an international calling bundle. Then I ordered the 500 minute calling bundle. It cost me another $5 and added the bundle without touching the $10 in my prepaid account. So I will probably never use that $10. Annoying but whatever.

Starting yesterday, whenever I make an international call it says "you have 90 minutes". I have only used about 200 minutes of the 500 minutes I bought, according to the prepaid account summary.

Tonight I just made a call to Canada and it cut me off after 10 minutes saying "you have ten dollars". I called back, and it said "you have 90 minutes" again.

WTH?

There is obviously a bug in the billing system somewhere. It tells me I have 90 minutes when I have over 300, cuts me off after 10 minutes and forgets I have a calling bundle at all, and when I call again I'm back to 90 minutes.
#69689 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:30 am
We had the same kind of problems with the International Bundle. In our case our International calling was cut off saying that we needed to add more funds to our prepaid account, even though we had not used hardly any of the 1000 minutes that we paid for. Because my wife's mother was gravely ill, I added another fifty dollars to the prepaid account, thinking that we could continue to call China. Adding the fifty dollars still didn't work with Ooma, so we ended up using prepaid credit cards using our cell phones to make our International calls until Ooma fixed the problem. We had to contact Ooma three times to have proper corrections made. Ooma did refund our fifty dollars, but getting the money returned from Ooma was like pulling teeth.

So to make a long story short, you need to contact Ooma to have the International Bundle problems resolved.
#69693 by oldtimercurt
Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:33 am
Here's one for Ripley's "Believe it or Not" I was getting ready to call Germany on my new Ooma Telo yesterday(Thanksgiving). Realized I needed some minutes. Bought 500 minutes for $4.99. Dialed Germany number. Recording says "call can't be completed at this time." WTFO? Tried couple more times, same result. On line doesn't show any $$ in my account Now here's the unbelieveable part. I called Support and talked to a real person. He told me Ooma is having a problem with the call packaging/billing(?). Gave me a $10 credit on prepaid calling (separate part of the system, I guess) and opened a trouble ticket for Engineering. Also told me to reset my Telo. Call went through--Ooma's workaround worked! :D :D :D

What's one of the things I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving? Live english speaking support tech who doesn't have to read from a script. Thanks Ooma!

OTC
#69705 by thunderbird
Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 am
Information:
Previous post November 27, 2010: We had the same kind of problems with the International Bundle. In our case our International calling was cut off saying that we needed to add more funds to our prepaid account, even though we had used hardly any of the 1000 minutes that we paid for. Because my wife's mother was gravely ill, I added another fifty dollars to the prepaid account, thinking that we could continue to call China. Adding the fifty dollars still didn't work with Ooma, so we ended up using prepaid phone credit cards using our cell phones to make our International calls until Ooma fixed the problem. We had to contact Ooma three times to have proper corrections made. Ooma did refund our fifty dollars, but getting the money returned from Ooma was like pulling teeth.

So to make a long story short, you need to contact Ooma to have the International Bundle problems resolved.

Update:
Today's post November 28, 2010: The post above was the experience that we had about one month ago.
But it wasn't only about one hour after making the above post that my wife, while on an International call, was cut off by Ooma again, with a message that our International minutes were used. Again I sent Ooma support an E-mail explaining what had happened. I asked Ooma support when our International minutes billing period starts and end each month. I asked Ooma support what was the total of minutes used for this billing period. I told them that I was wondering why if the International minutes were used, why the call didn't roll over to the prepaid fifty dollars that we have in our account. This morning the International account calling was working again, but we still haven't received an E-mail answering any of the questions that I asked.

We had already previously requested that Ooma add a display, with a running total of used minutes for International calling, to their Internet site, for each person’s account that subscribes to International Calling.
#69739 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:37 am
Ooma Business Issues:
Information:
International Calling is still in the hiccup mode. My wife was cut off twice this morning while making International Calls. But today she was able to eventually make her calls using Ooma International calling. You'd think that Ooma would put a much higher priority on this issue, since International Calling is probably one of their best revenue producers.
#69788 by eddycurrents
Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:13 pm
Yeah, we are still getting "You have 90 minutes" every time we make an international call. Haven't been cut off again but we haven't made any calls over 9 minutes since that first one.

Is the problem just the bundle, or do people get cut off too with no bundle?
#69943 by lbmofo
Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 am
My friend has a bundle, although no cut off issues, he is getting the "90 minute" message although he should have hundreds and hundereds of minutes left.
#69949 by ntoy
Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:12 pm
lbmofo wrote:My friend has a bundle, although no cut off issues, he is getting the "90 minute" message although he should have hundreds and hundereds of minutes left.

This is just a default message your friend can ignore for the time being. It is a workaround fix for int'l calling for some.
#70178 by eddycurrents
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 am
I got a support message back from Ooma:

We apologize for the confusion with regard to the recording you hear when making an international call. You may ignore the recording for the mean time as we are updating our system. It is just a default recording unfortunately, and we are working on the recording itself. The only way to track the minutes for now is by adding the minutes at My Ooma under prepaid account.

Ick. Not a great solution for someone who makes a lot of (short) international calls. Fortunately that's not me.
#70212 by thunderbird
Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 am
We continue to have problems with the international calling too. Last Friday Ooma support sent an E-mail blowing me off, again. My wife has become very concerned about the international calling Ooma initiated disconnects. The international calling Ooma initiated disconnects are followed by a recorded Ooma message saying that our minutes are used or with a similar statement. She is so concerned that she is going to start purchasing international calling phone cards again to make sure that she can make international calls using her cell phone when needed. I was watching TV the other night and a commercial came on for a VoIP provider called NetTalk. NetTalk is very similar to Ooma. NetTalk’s services are simpler, has less frills, and is more streamlined, but not as developed as Ooma’s services. The one service that really stood out was the NetTalk provides customer service seven days a week, and most important it seems that the NetTalk’s customers are very happy with their customer service. Since we are buying international calling phone cards again, and since Ooma don’t seem to have any intentions of correcting their international calling problems, we’ve been kicking around the idea of also subscribing to NetTalk’s VoIP service, while continuing to use Ooma. Than at the end of one year, we will probably use only the best provider. I’d like to see Ooma continue to have success, but who knows, Ooma might go under if they don’t improve their customer service.