Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#69604 by mikemc
Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:36 pm
Not sure if this is the place for this (didn't have any luck on the Vonage forums) - I'm in the process of switching from Vonage to Ooma and have my port set to complete tomorrow. Just curious if anyone in a similar situation had any issues actually canceling their Vonage account after the port completed? I've looked online and read some horror stories, but they are all from threads over 4 years old. Just looking for feedback or tips to help complete the transition to Ooma.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
#69605 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:45 pm
I had a friend do the same. Once port is done, just call Vonage to make sure your account is cancelled.
#69611 by murphy
Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 am
mikemc wrote:Not sure if this is the place for this (didn't have any luck on the Vonage forums) - I'm in the process of switching from Vonage to Ooma and have my port set to complete tomorrow. Just curious if anyone in a similar situation had any issues actually canceling their Vonage account after the port completed? I've looked online and read some horror stories, but they are all from threads over 4 years old. Just looking for feedback or tips to help complete the transition to Ooma.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

My Vonage account canceled automatically about three days after the port completed. However I had to call them to get my number removed from their number database. It was in there as a disconnected number which meant that anyone that was on Vonage couldn't call me.
#69613 by mikemc
Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:22 am
murphy wrote:My Vonage account canceled automatically about three days after the port completed. However I had to call them to get my number removed from their number database. It was in there as a disconnected number which meant that anyone that was on Vonage couldn't call me.

Thanks Murphy. I'll monitor it and see if that happens for me as well. I've been reading stories where Vonage was charging a $79.99 fee on top of the $39.99 cancellation fee. Just trying to prep myself if I need to fight those charges.

Thanks again for the help.
#69707 by kblgy
Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:22 am
my vonage account was canceled the same day it ported. i;m happy the port went through or else i'd had some problems ...

also those fee's are if your either in a contract yr (first yr of service) or if you order bye the yr i hear they charge you also ... not sure that one ..
#69821 by borisgoodenough
Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:49 am
I had one problem worth mentioning: after the port was completed and my Vonage account cancelled, other Vonage subscribers received a "this number is no longer in service" message when they called my former Vonage (new Ooma) number. It took a call to Vonage tech support and 48 hours to correct the problem. Suggest you have another Vonage subscriber try calling you once your port is complete.
#69977 by dclark61
Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:24 am
Glad I found this thread. I currently have an Ooma Basic subscription with an Ooma Telo.

I'd like to add a second line for my wife, and port her Vonage number to the second line.

So my understanding is that I require an Ooma Premier subscription, and an Ooma Telo Handset.

When I add-on Ooma Premier, should I select the "+ Free Handset" option, or the "+ Free Port" option, or does it matter?

Once my Premier subscription is setup, will the second line be associated with my current phone number, or a new temporary phone number?

When I want to port the Vonage number to the second line, do I just go to Add-Ons/Number Port and enter the Vonage number? If so, will I be given the option of associating the ported number to the second line? I want to avoid accidently replacing my current phone number on the first line with the ported number.

I'm also a bit confused by this description of "Personal Number":

"With Ooma Premier, choose a second number anywhere in the US. Decide whether you want your number to ring and leave voicemail on all phones or just your personal Ooma device. You can choose up to nine numbers (additional monthly fee applies)."

Does this mean that if your Instant Second Line has a different number than your first line, you need to pay an additional fee, and if so, what is that fee?

Thanks in advance for your help.
#70050 by careyd
Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:16 am
So, I'm switching from Vonage to Ooma after 5.5 years on Vonage. Setup and Activated Telo yesterday. Signed up for Premiere and initiated the port of my number from Vonage. Currently tested, working with a temp number.

Received email this morning saying:
------
Your porting order has been updated with an estimated completion date of 12-17-2010. Note that this date is an estimate. A second notification will be sent when your phone company has confirmed the date of transfer.
------

Here is my question for recent switchers:
How does your actual experience compare with this estimate? Faster? Slower?

Eager to get the transition completed ASAP
(and I will make sure to monitor the issue reported with incoming Vonage callers getting the disconnection notice).

Thanks!
#70083 by kblgy
Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm
FOR ME IT WAS THE SAME DAY AND I SWITCHED FROM VONAGE ALSO..
#70085 by careyd
Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:23 pm
KBLGY-
Do you mean the same day you submitted it or the same day in the estimate?

Thanks!