Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#4752 by scarson6
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:52 am
Could someone please tell me what address (numbers) I should put in the Forwarded To section of Ooma's port forwarding? Is it Ooma's address or the router's address. And also how to find those numbers? My setup is Modem>Ooma>Router>computers.

Alternately, could I DMZ the Ooma and then the ports I have forwarded in my router would go through no problem? If so, how do I do that? My goal is to be able to host ftp, and currently my DynDNS address sees my Ooma instead of my computer.

Sorry if these questions have been answered already - I did a quick search and didn't see what I was looking for.

Thanks!!
#4963 by willirl
Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:00 pm
It is the router's address you must forward to. You will need to go into the router's admin and determine what IP address the ooma has given to the router. Mine is 172.27.35.94 but yours will probably be different. Once you have that then you can set it in the ooma settings.
#5049 by scarson6
Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:07 am
Thanks for your reply! The odd thing is that the Ooma DHCP config is 172.27.35.10 through .160, but my router says that its IP address is 172.27.36.4 and Ooma won't allow me to set that as the Forward To address.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
#5054 by murphy
Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:39 am
Log into ooma and set the starting and ending IP addresses that it can issue to 172.27.35.2. Also set the DMZ address to 172.27.35.2.

Turn off the power to your router, wait 15 seconds, turn the router power back on.

#5061 by lohertz
Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:34 am
See this Post http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=284 for more info

Modem in bridge
Router with port forwarding to an ftp (or other) server and dyndns service on router.

Problem: when placing the ooma in front of the router the dyndns updates the ip assigned from the ooma. need the ip from isp.

so I moved the ooma behind the router and tweaked the QoS on the router.

What is so wrong with this setup???? Why do people find it necessary to DMZ anything? The only (and this is really minor) is that you need a computer directly connected to ooma for the setup.ooma.com
So if you prefer ooma to be a static IP, just reserve it in the DHCP and run a static in the ooma, but that really isnt gonna do anything for you because the only way to access the setup is via the "HOME" port on the ooma itself. You should not need to mess with that *EVER* its just another device pulling an IP

Use your routers QoS, Most automatically detect the uplink speed anyway is more customizable and assignable.

Everything is normal and I can access everything via internal or external ip except for the ooma.
#5065 by scarson6
Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:49 am
[Reply to Murphy]

That made sense, and I did that, but I still get the old address.

My router is in PPPoE mode - would that cause it to create its own address? And if so, what mode should it be in to accept Ooma's address?
#5066 by lohertz
Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:02 am
scarson6 wrote:That made sense, and I did that, but I still get the old address.
My router is in PPPoE mode - would that cause it to create its own address? And if so, what mode should it be in to accept Ooma's address?

Maybe you should do a hard reset on your router. Personally, starting from factory defaults and working through the configuration can help alleviate problems from the start.

You will need your user name and password and reenter into your router.

But I still don't understand why you find it necessary to put the router outside the ooma firewall. To DMZ anything should really be a last resort because you run the threat of bypassing the QoS in OOMA

Can you explain?
#5068 by scarson6
Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:23 am
lohertz wrote:
Maybe you should do a hard reset on your router. Personally, starting from factory defaults and working through the configuration can help alleviate problems from the start.

You will need your user name and password and reenter into your router.

But I still don't understand why you find it necessary to put the router outside the ooma firewall. To DMZ anything should really be a last resort because you run the threat of bypassing the QoS in OOMA

Can you explain?

OOMA QoS is only engaged if you've got it behind the router, correct?

BTW, though I've done a lot of setup on my router and modem to get port forwarding initially, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to really understanding all of this.

I did try modem>router>Ooma initially, but even with QoS, my phone quality really stunk. (It's still occasionally annoying even with it between the modem and router, but livable.) So I'd rather leave it where it is, but get the DynDNS address to see past my Ooma and router into my ftp server via port forwarding.
#5072 by murphy
Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:37 am
scarson6 wrote:[Reply to Murphy]

That made sense, and I did that, but I still get the old address.

You need to enter the PPPoE credentials into the ooma hub and set the router to standard DHCP mode as would apply to cable.