Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#4679 by nrs
Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:57 am
I am new to Ooma since 7 days. Ooma has been working really well. I live in Onalaska WI and having difficulty in receiving calls from Lacrosse WI. In land line all the calls to and from Lacrosse Wi is local calls only. Now with ooma it has become long distance from LaCrosse WI which is just 3 to 5 miles away. Those who are trying to reach me from Lacrosse WI are not happy as they have to dial as long distance.

When I did my registration I was given local number for Onalaska WI which I thought it will be local for Lacrosse WI.

How do I over come this? Any help would help

Nrs

ps: Onalaska and LaCrosse both are in same county.
#4682 by murphy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm
Are you saying that they are being charged for a long distance call or that they have to dial 10 or 11 digits for a local call.

If it's the latter, it's time to get used to it. My area (PA) has had 10 digit dialing for all calls for over 10 years. My house now has three different area codes due to area code overlays.

If it is an actual regional or long distance call, you need to determine which exchanges are in the local call group and pick your number from that group.
#4685 by dlong
Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:18 pm
Call or email support to switch your main ooma account to your land line. Then port your number.
#4697 by nrs
Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:55 pm
Whoever has tried to call me long distance they have been charged long distance.
#4700 by southsound
Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:27 pm
There could be a little confusion going on here. The ooma device offers free long distance to anywhere in the US for OUTGOING calls. This is not an 800 service where the caller is able to call IN without paying charges if they are in another rate center and do not have a telco plan that gives them free long distance.

Think of it like you do your cell phone (since most cell phones have free long distance to the US). You can call anywhere in the US for free (except with a cell phone you will pay air time), but people calling you from out of the area will pay because they are calling long distance.

If you want people from out of the area to be able to call you for free, consider adding additional phone numbers in their calling center (possibly Lacrosse WI?). Then they can call a number that is local to them. You could also change your primary number the same way. You are not charged for outgoing long distance, so it is really a matter of setting your ooma up for the most convience of those calling you. Tech support can make the change in your main number if you so desire. I recommend against using email to contact them - call 1 888 711-6662 when you have some time to spare. Hold time is typically 30+ minutes, but well worth it.

You might want to investigate before calling them - do numbers in the Lacrosse WI rate center have a larger calling area than where you are? If so, then you really do want to change your main number to one from their rate center. (You can check your local phone book to see if the Lacrosse numbers are local for people living in your part of town.)