What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Post Reply
nitsudima
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am

What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nitsudima » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:43 am

I have my Privacy settings set to send all anonymous calls directly to voicemail. However, for the past week I've been receiving calls from a telemarketer that is listed on CallerID as "Anonymous - 617-492-4474." Does the caller's number also have to be hidden or listed as anonymous along with the name before Ooma's anonymous call block kicks in?

I've added this number to my personal blacklist so it's not a big deal, but I'm curious if I should expect other calls like this to sneak through.

murphy
Posts: 7165
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 am

Anonymous calls do not present a phone number which means it is not possible for them to present a name since the name is looked up locally by the called party's phone company based on the phone number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

User avatar
nn5i
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nn5i » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:55 am

If you're seeing the number, it's not an anonymous call. It's just a call with the name "anonymous".

Caller-ID suppression does not prevent the transmission of the calling number. That's always transmitted from the originating system to the receiving system, but when you make an 'anonymous' call it is accompanied by a flag that tells the receiving system (your telco, or perhaps Ooma) not to display it.

Most likely that infernal and detested telemarketer has simply spoofed the name "anonymous" (instead of, say, "Harassment, Inc") and is not actually making anonymous calls. If you find him, kill him.

User avatar
southsound
Posts: 3519
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am
Location: Harstine Island, WA

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by southsound » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:10 am

nn5i wrote:Most likely that infernal and detested telemarketer has simply spoofed the name "anonymous" (instead of, say, "Harassment, Inc") and is not actually making anonymous calls. If you find him, kill him.
Three small lads are discussing the most ferocious of wild animals. One said that the Lion was the worst because he could sever your limbs in just a few bites. Another opted for the bear with paws almost as big as your head that could inflict pain and death. The third said it was the crocagator. The other boys accused him of making up an animal and asked him to describe it. "Well, it has the head of an alligator on one end and the head of a crocodile on the other. He can swing around and kill you from either end."

The other boys said, "No way there be such an animal. How would he go to the bathroom?"

The first responded, "That's why he so mean!"

Not to make assumptions, but nn5i, ole buddy, are you OK?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

User avatar
nn5i
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nn5i » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:12 am

Yup, OK as far as I can tell -- though "as far as I can tell" is a significant reservation.

But I really don't like telemarkers and spammers. Really don't like them. Really don't. Really.

That's why I spent the better portion of a year developing my own call-screening system (I call it PhoneMon). Written in PC assembler, it runs on a laptop with a small external circuit board that I also designed. By the laptop's modem it monitors Caller ID on incoming calls and connects or disconnects the telephone instruments in the house to prevent unwelcome callers from ringing my phones. I have run it since October of 2007 and it contributes greatly to my ability to take peaceful afternoon naps. I can restrict incoming calls by area code, by area code and exchange, by the whole number, by name, or by number+name. I can impose quiet hours so that a friend who keeps hours different from mine can call me only during part of the day -- and the quiet hours can differ between weekdays and weekends. I can impose quiet hours during which certain of my phones will ring and others won't (good for keeping the bedroom quiet at night but allowing the living-room phones to ring, in case I should happen to be up). I can disconnect the kids' phones at times they should be sleeping. I can cause the kids' friends to ring only the kids' extensions. And so forth. Not that I have kids at home any more (I'll be 70 in about three weeks), but I built a few extra PhoneMon systems for some friends. I can direct certain callers to an answering machine but not let'em ring the phones, or vice versa. I can pick up and hang up automatically on certain callers, without ringing my phones. And there are other features as well.

Now it's connected between my Telo and the phones, and it's utterly reliable. I used to get 4 or 5 telemarketing calls and vote-for-Joe-Blow calls each day. Now that PhoneMon has about 200 accumulated bad-guy phone numbers memorized, I get a new unwelcome caller maybe once every couple of months. Never does the same one bother me twice.

As I said, I really don't like telemarketers. Really don't like them. Really don't. Really.
.

User avatar
nn5i
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nn5i » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:31 am

Incidentally, I first heard the "crocagator" story applied, at least 50 years ago, to the "Pushmi-pullyu", an imaginary two-fronted beast first described by Hugh Lofting in his Doctor Dolittle stories.

gjwhitehorn
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm
Location: TX

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by gjwhitehorn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 pm

nn5i wrote: That's why I spent the better portion of a year developing my own call-screening system (I call it PhoneMon). Written in PC assembler, it runs on a laptop with a small external circuit board that I also designed. By the laptop's modem it monitors Caller ID on incoming calls and connects or disconnects the telephone instruments in the house to prevent unwelcome callers from ringing my phones. I have run it since October of 2007 and it contributes greatly to my ability to take peaceful afternoon naps. I can restrict incoming calls by area code, by area code and exchange, by the whole number, by name, or by number+name. I can impose quiet hours so that a friend who keeps hours different from mine can call me only during part of the day -- and the quiet hours can differ between weekdays and weekends. I can impose quiet hours during which certain of my phones will ring and others won't (good for keeping the bedroom quiet at night but allowing the living-room phones to ring, in case I should happen to be up). I can disconnect the kids' phones at times they should be sleeping. I can cause the kids' friends to ring only the kids' extensions. And so forth. Not that I have kids at home any more (I'll be 70 in about three weeks), but I built a few extra PhoneMon systems for some friends. I can direct certain callers to an answering machine but not let'em ring the phones, or vice versa. I can pick up and hang up automatically on certain callers, without ringing my phones. And there are other features as well.
wow! that's really cool! have you done any market research to see if it would be worth selling?

User avatar
nn5i
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nn5i » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:11 am

No, I built it just for my own use, and for the fun of it. It would have to be too expensive for most people, and I'm an old retired engineer who prefers to stay retired anyway.

gjwhitehorn
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:38 pm
Location: TX

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by gjwhitehorn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:59 am

Have you thought about patenting it and licensing it to someone who would want to produce it?

User avatar
nn5i
Posts: 554
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:02 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What makes an "Anonymous" call?

Post by nn5i » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 pm

gjwhitehorn wrote:Have you thought about patenting it and licensing it to someone who would want to produce it?
Yes, I thought about it just long enough to decide whether it would make my remaining years happier or would merely make them busier and more stressful. I suppose if someone wanted to make'em and sell'em, paying me for the privilege but otherwise leaving me alone, that would be OK. OK, but unlikely.

I am a little ashamed that I seem to have hijacked this thread. Any additional questions ought to be through PM.

Post Reply