Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#63976 by Morpheus
Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:27 am
I have seemed to narrow down a problem. I go to my Ooma handset and the screen is black. I pick up the handset and the battery compartment is hot. My handset has been in the cradle for several days with no attention. I am unable to get my Ooma handset to respond by placing it back in the same cradle or one of my other three cradles. I disconnect the battery from the handset and inset the handset back into the cradle with no battery and it now works in the cradle. I install the battery back into the handset and place it back into the cradle and now does a search and grabs the Telo for a connection. I remove the handset from the cradle and it dies. Placing it back into the cradle it powers up, it seems the battery is dead, and this after being in the charger for days.

It has now been two days and the phone is operating normal, and has a full charge. This has happened in the past and I've just replaced the handset from Costco. This is a new replaced handset which I've had for about 3 weeks.

Is this a wide area problem? Has anyone else been experiencing this. I'm thinking this could be a fire danger or even one of those exploding battery incidents.
#64457 by tebrodrick
Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 pm
Yes, I have the exact same problem with mine! Blank screen, super hot battery, and the only thing the fixes it is unplugging the battery. I have a case number from my emailing ooma support, and ooma support is requiring me to call in before they will help me. I will be doing that on Monday.

Tom
#64464 by Davesworld
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 am
Nothing short of a natural disaster would surprise me about the Ooma handset. Often we either get form or function with many products. Well, form is a definite NO unless you like the 20 year old Cobra Walkie Talkie look, function well, having the thing faced with a thermal runaway situation is not part of good function.

Ooma is requiring you to call in? With an unstable handset? Hmmm......
#64474 by tebrodrick
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:39 am
Yeah, I hate calling in to tech support of any kind. I was hoping they would just send me a new one, and issue an RMA to return this firehazard. At the very least, I'm sure the battery is compromised due to the high heat it's endured.
How is Costco handling this? I bought my ooma w/ handset from Costco too, but didn't want to go through the hassle of sending my whole setup back and buying another one. Are they replacing just the handset for you?
#64478 by Morpheus
Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 am
You can try and deal with support and if you are getting unsatisfactory results, then you have a couple of painless options.

1) Order another complete replacement and call support and activate the new Telo (5 minutes) and package up all your old Ooma equiptment and return it to Costco for a full refund after you get the replacement all installed and working. Tell them the handset is failing and that's it.

2) Order an single handset from Costco and when you recieve the new handset just package your defective handset in the box, or not, and retun it. Tell them the handset is failing, and that's it.

Note: You may have to do option 2 becuse Costco may be out of the packaged deal, or you may want to do that anyway if you don't want to go through a new activation with support.