Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#63196 by Scrone18
Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 am
I had an idea that I think would be beneficial to Ooma users. I absolutely love the anonymous call block feature, however, some key calls I do want receive like my child's peditrician. Currently, I can either not receive the anonymous call (ie. Private callers are sent to voicemail) or receive all anonymous calls (ie. telemarketers). How about creating a "Green List" option for the Anonymous call block feature where we can enter numbers that are an "exception" to the block feature and ring like normal. Give some feedback on what you think. I would absolutely love this feature if it was available.

Tony
#63212 by murphy
Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 am
Scrone18 wrote:I had an idea that I think would be beneficial to Ooma users. I absolutely love the anonymous call block feature, however, some key calls I do want receive like my child's peditrician. Currently, I can either not receive the anonymous call (ie. Private callers are sent to voicemail) or receive all anonymous calls (ie. telemarketers). How about creating a "Green List" option for the Anonymous call block feature where we can enter numbers that are an "exception" to the block feature and ring like normal. Give some feedback on what you think. I would absolutely love this feature if it was available.

Tony

There is no caller ID presented with an anonymous call.
There is no way to determine who is calling.
#63343 by nn5i
Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:27 pm
murphy wrote:There is no caller ID presented with an anonymous call.
There is no way to determine who is calling.

That's untrue.

When an anonymous call is placed, the number is transmitted over the network just as with other (non-anonymous) calls. However, a bit is set in the control string of which the number is one part, indicating that the caller has specified that the call is to be anonymous. The equipment at the destination end interprets this bit, and doesn't send the calling number to the subscriber line. But it's available, for example, to law-enforcement agencies.

When an anonymous call reaches Ooma's infrastructure, the originating number accompanies it, even for anonymous calls. Thus Ooma's system could, with appropriate programming, provide the suggested feature. I imagine it's a non-trivial change, though. First the infrastructure programming must be changed to make it work; then the web site programming must be changed to tell the infrastructure which callers to let through; and finally it must all be tested. Would the feature be popular enough to justify this considerable effort?

Me, I think it probably would be popular enough, but I wouldn't bet much either way.
#64060 by calkid4ever
Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:52 am
I agree. This would be a very useful feature.

nn5i wrote:
murphy wrote:There is no caller ID presented with an anonymous call.
<snip>
Would the feature be popular enough to justify this considerable effort?

Me, I think it probably would be popular enough, but I wouldn't bet much either way.