Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#61807 by tmehra
Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:31 pm
Hi,

The house phone connected to OOMA DOESN't ring but the caller can hear it ring until voice mail picks up, but . Also checked phone ringers; not an issue. I got a new number from OOMA. It seems OOMA goes to sleep if there is no activity for few hours. OOMA comes back to life and the attached phone starts ringing on the incoming calls immediately after once I make an outgoing call through it and place back the receiver.

I had other VOIP service with the same internet setup before and never had this issue.

I do not use internet service for anything else i.e. the OOMA device (the original not TELO) is directly attached to the DSL modem. No other device is accessing/using internet for anyother purpose either through DSL Modem or OOMA.

Thanks
Tarun
#61808 by southsound
Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:55 pm
Go to the setup page for your DSL modem and see if there is an option to keep the connection alive. Some modems automatically go into a sleep mode if they have not been accessed in a certain window of time.
#61810 by tmehra
Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:38 pm
Thanks for your quick response 'SouthSound'.

Actually I have installed this device at my parents who unfortunately do not have a computer to attach and verify what you are suggesting.

This could very well be the reason, but then before installing OOMA, I had been using a service of another VOIP provider and never faced this issue with them. We still have the same Internet service provider and nothing has changed in the internet configuration from then.

Thanks
Tarun
#61812 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Does the tab on the Hub stay blue throughout or does it turn red from time to time?

My friend's Hub would go offline intermittently. I changed his old ethernet cable between the Hub and the router and that fixed it.
#101319 by marc25v
Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm
Hi,

I realize this is an older thread, however I have a Telo and I am experiencing exactly the same issue as the original poster.

My Telo is plugged directly in my cable modem. Outbound calls always work, however at least once a day, the incoming calls just ring and fall to voicemail. I do not hear the phones ring at my house, however in the Call Log it says Missed. When I place a new call, suddenly incoming also begins to work.

I'd appreciate the help!
#101320 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 pm
marc25v wrote:Hi,

I realize this is an older thread, however I have a Telo and I am experiencing exactly the same issue as the original poster.

My Telo is plugged directly in my cable modem. Outbound calls always work, however at least once a day, the incoming calls just ring and fall to voicemail. I do not hear the phones ring at my house, however in the Call Log it says Missed. When I place a new call, suddenly incoming also begins to work.

I'd appreciate the help!

Try this first:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Some people report that with the current version of firmware, that if not already connected Modem-Router-Ooma, that changing to this connection helps.

Also:
Cycle the Envelope (Do Not Disturb) Icon on the face of the Ooma Telo. Press the Icon until it turns Yellow. Then press it again until it turns Blue.