Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#59663 by murphy
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 am
Ooma was opt in for the hub.
At or shortly after the Telo introduction it was changed to opt out.
#59685 by jakeman02
Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:54 pm
Personally I don't see how it could be any clearer. It's well noted that Ooma comes with a 60 day trial of Premier Service and the account information list when the trial ends, the tier plus other info (example below). After opt out is chosen it goes to subscribe to Premier with the trial status listed above. Opt Out seems like the clearest most natural wording to me but that's just my opinion. Plus when the word trial is mentioned with any company I find out the details and think most others would also. Trials have been around far to long for people to not have learned that lesson.

tier: Ooma Basic
Trial status: Trial ends in 8 days
Subscribe to Ooma Premier.
Taxes and fees: You are required to pay applicable taxes and fees each month. Click here to look up the payment amount

I guess there's always going to be the possibly someone would never check it and opt in after the trial but on the other hand if it was opt in and someone wanted to keep premier after the trial period they would be opted out and wonder why they had to opt back in causing another thread much like this one, seems like a 50/50 proposition to me. Someones always going to have issues with wording, it's human nature. I really don't think it anything more than a rare issue at most and if the wording does cause confusion for someone that's what this forum and CS are for.
#59687 by Morpheus
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:25 pm
jakeman02 wrote:Personally I don't see how it could be any clearer. It's well noted that Ooma comes with a 60 day trial of Premier Service and the account information list when the trial ends, the tier plus other info (example below). After opt out is chosen it goes to subscribe to Premier with the trial status listed above. Opt Out seems like the clearest most natural wording to me but that's just my opinion. Plus when the word trial is mentioned with any company I find out the details and think most others would also. Trials have been around far to long for people to not have learned that lesson.

tier: Ooma Basic
Trial status: Trial ends in 8 days
Subscribe to Ooma Premier.
Taxes and fees: You are required to pay applicable taxes and fees each month. Click here to look up the payment amount

I guess there's always going to be the possibly someone would never check it and opt in after the trial but on the other hand if it was opt in and someone wanted to keep premier after the trial period they would be opted out and wonder why they had to opt back in causing another thread much like this one, seems like a 50/50 proposition to me. Someones always going to have issues with wording, it's human nature. I really don't think it anything more than a rare issue at most and if the wording does cause confusion for someone that's what this forum and CS are for.

There was no clear path other than an opt out option while you were in trial mode. It looks like your opting out of the trial Premier plan by selecting that option. I had 8 days left until they were going to automatically elevate my status to Premier and the option to opt out had been removed. I had to send an email to get them to opt me out.

I had a 6 Month trial, and do you think people are actually watching or remembering that they are getting near the end of their trial. Ooma won't make any contact in order to verify that you actually want to opt in, they just automatically opt you in. To protect the customer there should NEVER be any instance of allowing a company to Opt you in automatically to anything.

If Ooma did not have access to your Credit Card information then you can bet that Ooma would not be automatically Opting customers in. There are so many other ways that Ooma could handle the transisition from Trial Premier to Premire.
#59707 by jakeman02
Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:23 am
One can opt out at anytime during the trial period period. One doesn't have to actually watch or remember that they are getting near the end of the trial. It can be done the first day they sign up or anytime during the period without status change until the period ends.

Trial or promotional periods with automatic opt after expiration unless otherwise chosen are all over the place with 1000s of companies and services, have been for many many years. They all have other ways they could handle the transition. Some make it nearly impossible to opt out, jumping through hoops calling, being put on hold, disconnected, having to mail in a form they misplace etc. Clicking a link on a website where a person has support all around them if they have any questions about it is a breeze in comparison. Like em or hate em they exist everywhere.
#59711 by Morpheus
Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 am
jakeman02 wrote:One can opt out at anytime during the trial period period. One doesn't have to actually watch or remember that they are getting near the end of the trial. It can be done the first day they sign up or anytime during the period without status change until the period ends..

Like I stated; There was an Opt Out button to Opt Out of the Ooma Premier tier. However, I was on the Ooma Premier tier as a TRIAL, so clicking on the button seemed kind of silly before the end on my TRAIL. There was no clear message that The only thing I was Opting Out of was being indoctrinated into the Ooma Premier tier automatically at the end of my TRIAL period. I had a 6 month trial and why would I want to Opt Out before the end of my trial period. There was no clear description of what would happen if the Opt Out button was activated during my trial period.

There is so much abuse of automatic Opt In selections that big brother should step in an close that hole. I've been Opted in from a couple of companies and it took several months, and a LOT of time on my part to close the hole and get my money back. Once I had to close Credit Card.

The biggest problem is that these companies hold onto your Credit Card information and are able to automatically bill you for services that you may not have any idea that you were going to have to pay for, but you actually gave them permission to do this by agreeing to their terms when you activated service.