Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#108965 by azism
Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:13 am
I agree with your observation 110%. That should be a no-brainer to block those exchanges and area codes which will (hopefully) never be allowed.
#108969 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 am
holmes4 wrote:Sadly, while Ooma's wildcard feature allows you to block 000-xxx-xxxx, it doesn't allow blocking of xxx-000-xxxx, which I see a lot from robocallers. This is why I requested that Ooma automatically block both area codes and exchanges which are never allowed by the North American Numbering Plan (this would include 0xx and 1xx exchanges.)

How many area codes did you receive these invalid exchange calls from? If only a handful, you can add blacklist entries: AreaCode0* and AreaCode1* to alleviate.

Ooma's wildcard blacklist implementation = leading digit(s) followed by a * (to blacklist every calling number with same leading digit(s))

Bobby B wrote:We're happy to announce that you can add blacklist entries with a wildcard now! To add an entry, goto https://my.ooma.com/blacklists and enter the set of digits followed by a "*". For example, to block numbers that start with "408-555", you'd enter "408555*".

Reason behind how Ooma implemented the wildcard blacklist:

Bobby B wrote:A regular expression engine is more computationally expensive and may "clog the pipe". When the server is trying to match the number against one or more blacklist entries, this matching process needs to be as fast as possible, especially when there's many other calls waiting to be processed.

Here is my take on why how Ooma implemented it isn't that "computationally expensive."

I pretty much don't get spam calls anymore...My call logs looks really clean (feels good not looking at all those missed spam calls). Here is what I did:

lbmofo wrote:Here is what I have now (all redirected to VM):

• Wildcard entries to block all Toll Free calls (5 entries).
  • Wildcard entries to block most area codes that I blacklisted before and I don't usually get legit calls from (about 50 entries).
  • Wildcard entries that are more explicit for neighboring/local area code numbers that I blacklisted before (at least area code + exchange and then plus 1st digit of subscriber number in cases).
  • Wildcard entries to block most invalid numbers (0* and 1*).
  • Outside of what the above covers, explicit blacklisted numbers.
Now, I am down to 111 personal blacklist entries from 247.

For those who want to block every number out there, all you need is 10 entries (0* through 9*)
But you probably don't want to block all numbers in area codes near you.
#112288 by JL-ATL
Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 am
holmes4,

Great idea for Ooma community blacklist to automatically block any numbers that cannot exist. Would hope that is something simple for them to do.

Ooma - anyone response?
#112289 by azism
Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 am
lbmofo states "Wildcard entries to block most invalid numbers (0* and 1*)." this makes me ask a question. If someone is dialing 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX, would not that number be blocked by the 1* wildcard? In that case, wouldn't it be better to make that wild card 11* instead? I'm not sure that a 11* wouldn't be a problem of its own also.
#112292 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 am
When you specify personal blacklist wildcard entries, you are specifying it for "area code + 3 digit prefix + 4 digit number"
Before Ooma processes incoming calls to block, Ooma knows to ignore extra digits or characters if any.