Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#59329 by adtreat
Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm
My Telo is not ringing at my home when my husband's office calls. They can reach us by cell phone. My husband has tried dialing with and without using our area code. Has anyone else experienced this and what was the solution?
Anne
#59332 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm
How long have you had ooma, and did you port the number into ooma?
When they call, does it go to voice mail, or what?
#59333 by DTMF
Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 pm
How do you have your Telo connected to the Internet?

modem > router > Telo

or

modem > Telo > router

If it's the first way, try the second way. :)
#59336 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:07 pm
If you were porting, the status is here...
https://my.ooma.com/porting_status
The office number they are calling from is probably on the wireline (original) phone system, but cellular is on its own network, and they are affected by porting of a number differently.
Were you ever able to call your ooma from that number?
#59348 by adtreat
Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 pm
We have had the OOma for almost one month and the number was successfully ported from Verizon. The rest of my contacts both land line and cells have had no problem reaching us. From my husband's workplace the phone just rings and rings and doesn't go to voice mail and we never hear it ring here.

The Telo is connected to the router/modem. I will try switching tomorrow to see if it works better that way.

Thanks for your input.
Anne
#59377 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:05 pm
Is the place where the calls don't come in from, on Verizon, also, and was the number from around that area?
The reason I ask is that I ported in a number to my Sprint cell from Bellsouth once, and months later, Bellsouth gave the number to a new customer. I worked in the area, and when I called my cell, it went to somebody else, but when I called on a cell, or had somebody call me from somewhere else, it went to my cell correctly.

I found out by filing a complaint at www.fcc.gov, and waiting for a month to hear from a Bellsouth VP answering my complaint that the port did not complete. They said I had cancelled it and resubmitted, causing the problem. In fact it was stuck in the system, and had to be cancelled and resubmitted.
In any case, he had it fixed.

So, it depends on whether your number is failing in the area it came from, or from another provider that the phone is calling from that has not updated their porting, so let us know. Porting is done based on a national database that the phone companies pull the info from. The number always belongs to the original carrier, and reverts back to them if it is cancelled, also, as I understand it. So if ooma says that the port completed without errors, then you might be able to contact the calling phone's provider to update their records based on the porting (LNP) database etc.

Post here how your situation matches above. You should probably have ooma support check for errors on the porting order.

By the way, if it is a porting problem - this type problem is inherent in LNP (local number portability) and is not usually the fault of the reveiving carrier (ooma).
#59481 by adtreat
Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 am
I cannot set up the Telo any other way since the modem/router is combined.

Another person called and just got ringing and I saw on Verizon that my number is still being ported...according to them. I plugged my wall phone in and asked my husband to call from work. If that works then I know it is a Verizon problem.

Just want to complain to the correct party.

Thanks again for your input.
Anne