Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#58306 by 357magnum
Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:42 pm
I know others have posted about getting their satellite systems and tivo to dial out over ooma. I have read through a lot of posts and still can't get my systems to connect. I am using an ooma telo and my internet is through clear. I have an RCA dsl filter right off the back of my series 1 sony SVR-2000 tivo.(i know it's old but it's working great) and still can't get even the test connection to work. I have tried mulptile different modem speed settings and turned tone detection off. I have also tried *99 with multiple pauses before and after each of these. Does anyone have clear and ooma? I am curious if my problem lies with clear or ooma. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
#58312 by murphy
Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:03 am
Why do you have a DSL filter on a system that does not involve a DSL connection?
You must use *99 pause and you should reduce the baud rate to the lowest value that the TiVo hardware supports.
Unless you are receiving the Clear signal using a roof mounted beam antenna aimed at the Clear tower and are relatively close to the tower you don't stand much of a chance.

Have you run the VOIP speed tests to see what your jitter and delay values are?
#58339 by 357magnum
Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:55 pm
I am using a dsl filter because other posts suggested using them to cut down on noise. I haven't ran a voip speed and jitter test, can you tell me how to get this done? Also what are acceptable levels and speeds for voip?
#58421 by 357magnum
Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 pm
I have about 11ms average of jitter. I can see that that is probably my whole problem as i can get good speeds. The tower is about 1mile from the house. Is there anything a guy can do to improve jitter short of getting a new isp?
#58423 by 357magnum
Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm
here are my results

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 10.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2461984 bps
Upload speed: 483664 bps
Download quality of service: 44 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 204 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 160 ms
Average round trip time to server: 172 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Route concurrency: 9.748236
Download TCP forced idle: 87 %
Maximum route speed: 3276744bps
#58425 by murphy
Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:15 pm
Jitter: you --> server: 10.4 ms
Download quality of service: 44 %
Maximum TCP delay: 204 ms

Jitter is high
Download QOS is low
Max TCP delay should be less than 100.

Do you have an outside antenna? Preferably a beam antenna pointed right at the tower.
#58449 by 357magnum
Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:19 am
Unfortunately Clear doesn't have a modem with an external antenna connection. I have been playing around with an old directv dish as a reflector for my modem and getting some better results. My first test gave me about 12db better signal level and about 7 db carrier to noise improvement. I think i can get better results with some patience as my tests were done with me holding the dish in place. Anyhow with the better signal and signal to noise ratios the jitter was always the same. All things considered, if i can't get the jitter down will the connections always fail?