Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#56381 by FreePhone
Sat May 22, 2010 4:37 pm
The place that I want to put my Ooma has one electrical outlet and the only way to get internet to it is by using a Monster Powernet 200. The Powernet uses both plugs in the outlet but has two outlets on the side of the device. It provides plenty of room for corded plugs but not power brick type plugs.

Ooma please change your power brick design so it uses a cord to the wall outlet instead of this huge brick on the wall. Make it available and I would buy one right now!
#56386 by FreePhone
Sat May 22, 2010 5:20 pm
I have extra power cords that are longer and would work. I am just a bit upset that we would have to do this because Ooma didn't design the their power brick right in the first place. Now I have to have more cords behind my Ooma.
#56389 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 5:27 pm
What happened to the "Hey thanks." in your original reply? :)

The point of the 1ft ext cord is it doesn't feel like a bunch of extra cord. If Ooma re-designed the brick, it would probably look just like having one of these extensions along with the brick.

I wouldn't be so harsh on Ooma as most products go with the standard brick design. There are just a few, maybe 10% I've seen go the extra step of being power strip friendly, and sometimes they get it wrong by assuming your plugs are one orientation and making the adapter long and narrow, which works great with some power strips but occupies multiple slots on others.

The safest design is to have a short cord portion followed by the brick portion. This design works with all strip and outlet designs.

You seem to be overly upset (but maybe I'm reading the tone wrong, hard to tell in posts) over something that will cost you less than a $1 to address.

Good suggestion though.
Last edited by sfhub on Sat May 22, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#56390 by FreePhone
Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm
Thanks!

I realized I already had some of these cords, even though they are tad long. True a 1ft cord like you suggested would be better but it still is pretty thick. I just want a way to place my Ooma on my kitchen counter where my previous phone was, without a bulky mess of cords behind it.
#56391 by FreePhone
Sat May 22, 2010 5:47 pm
sfhub wrote:You seem to be overly upset (but maybe I'm reading the tone wrong, hard to tell in posts) over something that will cost you less than a $1 to address.

But the tax, shipping and handling is 4 times the cost of the item. I know, still not a lot of money but I bought my Ooma so I would pay nothing. Froogle is the name of the game in this current economy.
#56392 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 5:49 pm
Not complaining about your suggestion. It is a good suggestion.

Just offering some suggestions that might address your current problem as Ooma wouldn't be making a change that would help you in the immediate timeframe.

Maybe something like this can get you more clearance without extra cords?

http://www.shophomeandgarden.com/p-1228 ... e_Tap.aspx

There are different designs and shapes. I just picked one for illustrative purposes.
#56394 by FreePhone
Sat May 22, 2010 5:59 pm
sfhub wrote:Maybe something like this can get you more clearance without extra cords?

http://www.shophomeandgarden.com/p-1228 ... Triple_Tap

Unfortunately the Monster Powernet 200 needs both outlet plugs, it uses both grounds. So that device won't work.

I have another place on a counter, that I could put my Ooma but the electrical outlet sits to low and the Powernet can't pug into it. The Powernet also needs some extra room underneath it for the Ethernet cord.
#56401 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 6:37 pm
FreePhone wrote:Unfortunately the Monster Powernet 200 needs both outlet plugs, it uses both grounds. So that device won't work.

Actually what I meant was something that could plug into the Monster-provided outlet that would give you more clearance for the Ooma power adapter, maybe not the shape I posted, but a compatible shape with the same concept.

I guess you could be equally upset at Monster for not designing their provided outlets to be brick-friendly no? :) :) I looked up a picture of the device and it seems they could have provided one of the outlets somewhere on the front face instead of both on the side.
#56402 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 6:45 pm
How about something like this one, only 6" and thinner, hopefully a kitchen-friendly white color. It says out of stock, but you can probably find it at a local hardware store.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103297

Is your power adapter grounded? I know the one that comes with the hub isn't but I don't know which model you have.