Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#55041 by chiguypaul
Sat May 08, 2010 3:03 pm
I decided to cancel my Ooma service after two weeks of trying it. The biggest issues were:

1) technical support issues that required escalation took days for someone to work on and resolve. Unacceptable. No updates.
2) For some reason, ooma calls to or from those who I know who have cell phones would echo. Only cell phone calls and only call through Ooma. The same calls on a landline before or after the Ooma call would not produce an echo. All landline to landline calls were fine. The inconsistency was terrible.
3) The handset, which I had to buy as part of the Costco bundle, would constantly hum. I had a replacement and that had the same sound. Same comments from others. There's a reason why those on Amazon, etc give the phone a 2 out of 5.

Too bad it didn't work out. I really tried with the technical support staff, but it was just too frustrating. Thanks to those in the forums who tried to help.

Great service for others just not for me.
#55050 by DTMF
Sat May 08, 2010 5:51 pm
You shouldn't have any problem unloading your Ooma gear for a good price. Ooma devices sell for 80% of retail or more on eBay. I know this because I've been trying to get a deal on a handset and there is plenty of competition in the bidding. :D
#55055 by sfhub
Sat May 08, 2010 8:17 pm
Why would he unload the gear for 80% when he could return the gear to the merchant for 100%?

I don't know how the current handset behaves, but many of those (deserved) reviews at Amazon were bad because the handset was released before it was debugged and they've needed to update the firmware multiple times.
#55065 by allo
Sun May 09, 2010 12:36 am
DTMF wrote:You shouldn't have any problem unloading your Ooma gear for a good price. Ooma devices sell for 80% of retail or more on eBay. I know this because I've been trying to get a deal on a handset and there is plenty of competition in the bidding. :D

Costco takes back returns at full paid price !!!

#55072 by frenchcamp49er
Sun May 09, 2010 7:34 am
Thats too bad you had problems. My experience with CS has been great, I've had to use them two times and would rate the experience 5 out of 5. I have been thinking of getting the handset but the reviews have stopped me so far, does anyone have any experience with the handset?
#55085 by southsound
Sun May 09, 2010 1:18 pm
frenchcamp49er wrote:Thats too bad you had problems. My experience with CS has been great, I've had to use them two times and would rate the experience 5 out of 5. I have been thinking of getting the handset but the reviews have stopped me so far, does anyone have any experience with the handset?

I have two of the Telo handsets and use the PHONE port to drive a Uniden 1580-5 DECT 6.0 system. There are things I like better about the Uniden, like an easier to read screen, a much lower price per handset, great range (slightly better than the Telo handset) and what I find is a more comfortable feel. However, the Telo handset has come a long way since first introduced. I like the fact I can access the second line for a call when someone is on the Uniden. I like the display now much better than before (I was a beta tester with a fuzzy screen), and I really like the Contact List function. In my humble opinion, you need at least one of the Telo handsets to make the system complete. Two are even better - but this from a person who has 19 phones in his single story home. :P
#55141 by DTMF
Mon May 10, 2010 7:38 am
allo wrote:
DTMF wrote:You shouldn't have any problem unloading your Ooma gear for a good price. Ooma devices sell for 80% of retail or more on eBay. I know this because I've been trying to get a deal on a handset and there is plenty of competition in the bidding. :D

Costco takes back returns at full paid price !!!

So I guess my advice is more helpful to a member who searches and finds this thread, but didn't buy their Ooma device at Costco. :cool:
#55144 by sfhub
Mon May 10, 2010 7:57 am
Probably not, most retailers offer some type of return policy and Ooma offers 30-day no risk trial. If someone has only used the product for 2 weeks, they are better off seeing if they can return it rather than trying to sell it.
#55156 by DTMF
Mon May 10, 2010 8:54 am
sfhub wrote:Probably not, most retailers offer some type of return policy and Ooma offers 30-day no risk trial. If someone has only used the product for 2 weeks, they are better off seeing if they can return it rather than trying to sell it.
I don't want this tangent to obscure my larger point, which is that if the service were so bad, why are so many buyers on eBay bidding up used Ooma gear to 80% or more of retail? I've seen handsets sell there for more than they sell for at online retailers!
#55171 by sfhub
Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 am
GIven this is OPs thread, were you saying your post or mine was the tangent? :)

Obviously the product doesn't suck for everyone and there are people that find it works well for them.

I think all you can derive from ebay pricing is there is demand for the item. You can't really assign reasoning behind that demand. It's possible that the service is good for some people but not for others. It's possible Ooma released firmware that fixed lots of handset problems, and people now feel confident buying more handsets. It's possible some people just want the Telo base unit and don't use the handset so they don't care how the latter performs. It's possible the buyers on ebay aren't savvy shoppers. It's possible supply is low on the handset so people are going to ebay to find the item. It's possible the bid you saw was from overseas where shipping, taxes, etc. can get quite high, so they were willing to pay more for free shipping. I don't think this is the case, but it is even possible Telo's are not reliable so people are constantly looking for replacements to preserve their $11.75 service. There are many possibilities that could account for the demand besides the service not being bad.