Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#54690 by theo1958
Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 pm
Like all electronics they have a limited life span, some longer than others. After the warantee period, should the Telo take its' last breath what happens? Do I need to run out and buy a new one and get a new phone number? Then go throught the hassle of having the every billing company and friend update their date base? Can anyone fill me in on the life expectancy of these great gadgets we are working with and how we handle failures due to 'old age'?

I still have bell telephones from the 60's you can demolish a building with and still get a dial tone :P
#54704 by southsound
Mon May 03, 2010 9:07 pm
Since ooma has control of how your actual number is routed in their servers, changing your number to a new device in the event of either equipment upgrade or replacement due to failure should only take a matter of minutes. I recently retired my hub (it was working great but I didn't need 4 lines in the house for my wife and myself. I liked the main number on my hub so I had them make it the second number on my Telo. It was done very quickly with no downtime. The only thing I would have lost if it was a failed unit was any saved voicemails. They are stored on ooma's servers but would not transfer to the new device. Maybe it was because the number was going from one hardware class to another. In my case, there were none so it was a non-issue.
#54710 by allo
Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 am
theo1958 wrote:... After the warantee period, should the Telo take its' last breath what happens? ...

You should give it a dignified burial... and then move on!