Fax and Ooma

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Solie

Fax and Ooma

Post by Solie » Sun May 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Does Fax machine work with Ooma? Any special connections or instructions?

I searched for word "fax" but could not find any thread. It is kind of strange. I am thinking, some one must have asked this question before me.

coldsteel

Re: Fax and Ooma

Post by coldsteel » Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 pm

That is strange - I keyed FAX into the search box and nothing comes up either - other words work (OOMA, DTMF) but fax shows nothing. Anyway take a look around at the topics and then the threads FAX and FAX related issues have been discussed here many times, basically it should work.
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun May 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Search terms on Ooma forums must be at least 4 characters long.
Fax machine will get you over 1000 hits.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

coldsteel

Post by coldsteel » Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks Murphy, just learned something new. Can a moderator please add this to the FAQ?
Own: 1 Hub, 1 Scout ... "Common Sense Information Technology" is the focus of http://winstonlawrence.com/notebook/

Solie

Post by Solie » Mon May 03, 2010 3:44 pm

This search engine is not working right. Thanks Murphy for the info. I now noticed an Advanced Search button. Color is so bad, you can hardly see it. But even that was no use.

I have Ooma Telo, and my Internet is thru naked DSL. I have an old fax machine that was connected to regular telco line. Now that I have VOIP, Can I connect that fax machine. I do not want to connect it to any PC/laptop. Just stand alone. Is it doable?

Any special wiring needed?

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Solie wrote:This search engine is not working right. Thanks Murphy for the info. I now noticed an Advanced Search button. Color is so bad, you can hardly see it. But even that was no use.

I have Ooma Telo, and my Internet is thru naked DSL. I have an old fax machine that was connected to regular telco line. Now that I have VOIP, Can I connect that fax machine. I do not want to connect it to any PC/laptop. Just stand alone. Is it doable?

Any special wiring needed?
Just connect it to the phone jack on the Telo.
Precede fax calls with *99 pause
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Mon May 03, 2010 6:39 pm

Solie wrote:This search engine is not working right. Thanks Murphy for the info. I now noticed an Advanced Search button.
It's not the board's fault or Ooma's fault. It's a limitation of the Linux platform that the board's server is running on. Message boards on Linux servers can't do searches of search terms fewer than 4 characters.
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

Solie

Post by Solie » Tue May 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks, I will try it and report here.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed May 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Try plugging this into Google:

fax machine site:www.ooma.com/forums
Bobby B

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 am

DTMF wrote:
Solie wrote:This search engine is not working right. Thanks Murphy for the info. I now noticed an Advanced Search button.
It's not the board's fault or Ooma's fault. It's a limitation of the Linux platform that the board's server is running on. Message boards on Linux servers can't do searches of search terms fewer than 4 characters.
Actually it is a limitation of the board's software, phpBB. If you want to see an example of an open source forum running on Linux that allows three character searches, look at Simple Machines Forum (http://simplemachines.org). SMF allows three character searches but filters trivial words like "the".