Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#53856 by FogNoggin
Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:11 am
Last month I bought a Telo. Unless I opt for Premiere Service, I'll only pay $11.75 a year in RRF costs. As for additional fees, I feel that I almost HAVE to subscribe to Premiere as I need my name in my caller-ID, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Bummer.

Now, as I understand it, Telos are being sold that require a monthly fee. This would be $3.47 for me if I hadn't bought last month. This makes me hesitant to continue to recommend Ooma to friends. I left Vonage because of their fee-creep and don't want to involve others in Ooma if it's gonna be the same story.

My main questions is this: Does Ooma charge according to the hardware you buy, and the text on the box, or according to WHEN you activate your service? I thought about buying a Hub new-in-box as I believe I could avoid all of the fees mentioned above. I've scoured forums and FAQ's but I'm still confused. I believe a Hub would help me avoid RRF costs but I'd still have to buy Premiere to get name in my caller-ID? Is this correct?
#53867 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:57 am
The tax tier & terms/conditions for the 1st device you activate follows you. My understanding is that with basic/free service, you only get callerid-number instead of both callerid-name & callerid-number unless you activated an ooma Core (Hub + Scout combo units). This is a good read.

ooma Core:
Attachments
O90-1000-call21-maf.jpg
O90-1000-call21-maf.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
DSCF9804.jpg
DSCF9804.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
#53886 by bw1
Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:57 pm
FogNoggin wrote:I'd still have to buy Premiere to get name in my caller-ID? Is this correct?

I don't think outgoing caller id has anything to do with fees or Premier. It should be set to whatever you entered for account name when you activated, which should be the same as what displays on the account -> profile page under first and last name.
#53914 by sfhub
Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:32 am
FogNoggin wrote:I feel that I almost HAVE to subscribe to Premiere as I need my name in my caller-ID, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Bummer.

Now, as I understand it, Telos are being sold that require a monthly fee. This would be $3.47 for me if I hadn't bought last month. This makes me hesitant to continue to recommend Ooma to friends. I left Vonage because of their fee-creep and don't want to involve others in Ooma if it's gonna be the same story.

My main questions is this: Does Ooma charge according to the hardware you buy, and the text on the box, or according to WHEN you activate your service? I thought about buying a Hub new-in-box as I believe I could avoid all of the fees mentioned above. I've scoured forums and FAQ's but I'm still confused. I believe a Hub would help me avoid RRF costs but I'd still have to buy Premiere to get name in my caller-ID? Is this correct?

The caller-id Ooma is talking about is *incoming* caller-id. Outgoing caller-id (for all customers) is based on your registration and is controlled by your privacy settings. You can choose to have it always be displayed on recipient's phone or displayed per-call using *82.

The packaging on the Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) bundle promised *incoming* caller-id would be name+number. Ooma felt the fees to do the name lookup were relatively expensive and decided to change it to number-only incoming caller-id (like your cell-phone) for the basic package and moved name+number incoming caller-id to the Premiere package. The existing packaging that promised both will get both. If your current servicde included both, you continue to receive both. If your current Hub receives both, and you upgrade to Telo, they will transfer the service over so you continue to receive both (and continue to be tax free). The new packaging (Telo, standalone Hub) gets number-only incoming caller-id, so it is based on packaging not based on activation.

Unlike Vonage fee creep, from my experience Ooma fee creep affects new users/customers and they are good about honoring what marketing they included with the packaging on the product you bought. The have honored pricing that original customers were promised. Now this does lead to some confusion during transition periods and they could handle that better.

Ooma has been charging according to the hardware you buy and the text on the box. There was a small transition period (early April) to the newer packaging that mentions monthly taxes where they allowed signups with the monthly wording to still get the $11.75/yr taxes.

Keep in mind, only an *unactivated* Ooma Core (Hub+Scout) bundle is guaranteed to have no fees and name+number incoming caller-id. Telo and Standalone Hub models have number-only incoming caller-id unless you get Premiere. All the Telos and most of the Standalone Hubs will have either $11.75/yr taxes for older packaging or montly taxes for newer packaging. There are some refurbished Standalone Hubs which are exempt from all taxes just like the Ooma Core bundle.