Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#53103 by philw132
Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:07 pm
I seem to still have an old firmware revision on my telo, is there anyway to push to update to my unit? (i don't mind being the ginnie pig for firmware experiments if that is the reason i haven't received an update)

thanks,

Phil
#53186 by bw1
Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 pm
The reason you haven't received the latest firmware is only because they can't (or don't want to) send it to everyone at once. It usually takes a few days for a new firmware to be delivered to the entire user base, unless they find a problem or want to limit the exposure to a smaller user group to make sure there are no problems.
#53238 by philw132
Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:15 am
bw1,

thanks for the response.. I checked this morning and the firmware has been updated. I am a bit of a "geek" and i am just use to having control of updates, firmware etc .. not use to a 3rd party installing firmware automaticly on my own devices. I try to keep all my devices up to date as soon as i find out there is a update to be had.
#53239 by southsound
Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:25 am
philw132 wrote:bw1,

thanks for the response.. I checked this morning and the firmware has been updated. I am a bit of a "geek" and i am just use to having control of updates, firmware etc .. not use to a 3rd party installing firmware automaticly on my own devices. I try to keep all my devices up to date as soon as i find out there is a update to be had.

Please understand that you may be an unusual user - ooma's product is a consumer device - geared to be something that Aunt Tilly, Uncle Fred and others can use without having to remember to check for a new version. I have had DishNetwork for my TV for the last 16 years. Every time they do an upgrade, I get it automatically. Again, it is a consumer device.

Since the goal of the updates is to improve the user's experience and there is no charge for the update (unlike my iPod Touch that charges me for version updates), there is really no reason to burden the user with a manual process. Likewise, if they find that a "regression bug" has reared its ugly head with a version, they can work quickly to resolve the problem. Each of the updates is vetted first with internal users, a beta community, and pilot users prior to massive rollout. In this way ooma is able to control the server load as well as assure that all users get the proper benefit of their ooma device by running the new firmware.

JMHO - but as a fellow geek, I understand your concerns. :P