Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#52522 by topwinder
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 pm
No good news though. It seems to be making the "applicable taxes and fees" based on your locale. For bay area residents, it is coming out to around $3.5 per month, so it goes up from $12 to around $42
#52538 by DTMF
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:14 am
Ooma doesn't have any control over taxes that various levels of government impose on its customers. It chose to eat those Federal fees on behalf of its early adopters, but that wasn't a sustainable practice that could be scaled to millions of customers.

As a voter who lives in that area, you have a choice each time you go to the ballot box whether to continue supporting politicians who impose taxes and fees on your phone service.
#52541 by hpepper
Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 am
When I purchased my Ooma systems last year, (other than the sales tax)I figured there is no way the government can charge tax on something that doesn't cost anything to use.

Never underestimate the government in their creative ways to separate us from our money. :D
#52565 by southsound
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am
hpepper wrote:When I purchased my Ooma systems last year, (other than the sales tax)I figured there is no way the government can charge tax on something that doesn't cost anything to use.

Never underestimate the government in their creative ways to separate us from our money. :D

It's all about distribution of wealth and the new math. Three years ago I offered to help a young couple with filing their tax return. He had paid in just about $1300 and I was convinced that I could get at least half of that back for his refund. Imagine my surprise when his refund came to just about $3500! I still can't understand the math - you pay in $1300 and get back nearly 3 times as much! Since I have to write a check to the IRS every year I've decided not to help this couple with their taxes again. Just puts me into a rant. (Oh darn, just writing about it did too!)
#52568 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:38 am
Looking at the tax calculator for my zip, the tax seems to be a lot less than the regular POTS but I get the feeling that may change over time once the city and state get in the picture.

For my zip code at least, this piece is pretty much inline.
#52663 by joeed2
Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am
I messed around with some zip codes at that link. Even just the federal tax, with no other tax comes to $19.08 per year. So where does the $11.99 come from? Every zip code try in different states shows around the 40 dollar plus range. So where do you have to live for the $11.99?
#52664 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:44 am
"A fee for regulatory recovery and other costs of $11.75 per year applies in the second year of the service and beyond and is subject to change." The "subject to change" just happened recently.
#52672 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 pm
lbmofo wrote:Hope ooma will offer some kind of promotion for Lifetime Premier again.

Many Core customers might jump on the deal and it would make sense for ooma too if they plan to honor the Core terms/conditions long term.