Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#51715 by Ancalagon
Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm
After reading this forum for several months now, I can't tell you how many bullets I seem to have dodged. My setup went well. I tested the ooma telo for a week before initiating the port process on March 14. Less than 3 weeks later (today-3/30) the port is complete, the dial-tone is distributed throughout my house and I canceled my Verizon service.
In keeping with the overall theme of having a problem with something, I would like to contribute this. What is the ‘WALL’ port for on the ooma Telo device? I know what it’s supposed to be for, run a phone line from the ooma WALL port to the house telephone jack to distribute the dial tone throughout the house. Sounds good, but the ooma Wall port does not function… At all. You have to use the PHONE port and a splitter to accomplish this task.
Given the complexity of the ooma device and service, you would think the engineers could have just duplicated the PHONE port. I’m not sure what they tried to do with the WALL port, but they should probably take another look at those schematics.
Anyway, I would give my overall ooma experience a solid 96 out of 100. The wall port functionality is disturbing and the customer service help desk is something I hope to avoid. (I called once to ask some questions just to form my own opinion). On the other hand, if the device last for 10 months, it was free.
#51722 by murphy
Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm
Ancalagon wrote:After reading this forum for several months now, I can't tell you how many bullets I seem to have dodged. My setup went well. I tested the ooma telo for a week before initiating the port process on March 14. Less than 3 weeks later (today-3/30) the port is complete, the dial-tone is distributed throughout my house and I canceled my Verizon service.
In keeping with the overall theme of having a problem with something, I would like to contribute this. What is the ‘WALL’ port for on the ooma Telo device? I know what it’s supposed to be for, run a phone line from the ooma WALL port to the house telephone jack to distribute the dial tone throughout the house. Sounds good, but the ooma Wall port does not function… At all. You have to use the PHONE port and a splitter to accomplish this task.
Given the complexity of the ooma device and service, you would think the engineers could have just duplicated the PHONE port. I’m not sure what they tried to do with the WALL port, but they should probably take another look at those schematics.
Anyway, I would give my overall ooma experience a solid 96 out of 100. The wall port functionality is disturbing and the customer service help desk is something I hope to avoid. (I called once to ask some questions just to form my own opinion). On the other hand, if the device last for 10 months, it was free.

The Telo wall port is used to integrate a landline with the Telo. If you don't integrate a landline, it has no use.
I've never quite understood why anyone would want to do this.
#51748 by Leeway
Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm
Well, I'm glad that you've had a great Ooma beginning. However, I agree with Murphy. You have the Ooma wall port and the Ooma phone port confused.

There is a reason for both of them. Some folks choose keep a land line.

Donna
#51822 by MackT4
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:12 am
I agree with the above posters, the wall port is for those that choose to keep a landline as a backup. I will probably use this option myself as Its cheaper for me to keep an active number on my DSL line. Im not quite sure, but I think you probably still have to have electricity for that to work.
#51824 by southsound
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 am
MackT4 wrote:I agree with the above posters, the wall port is for those that choose to keep a landline as a backup. I will probably use this option myself as Its cheaper for me to keep an active number on my DSL line. Im not quite sure, but I think you probably still have to have electricity for that to work.

You might want to reconsider using the landline in an integrated configuration. Many of us have a basic (or even fully featured) landline because of DSL pricing - but the Telo does not give you power failure rollover with the landline. They took out the relay that is in the hub for this purpose to save on manufacturing costs. You also loose some neat features by using your landline in an integrated mode. Why not just keep them seperate? That way you have the best of both worlds... a landline you can use with a corded phone during power failures (or network outages) and a fully functional ooma. In my area, Qwest doesn't bother backing up their DLS remote terminals with battery power so in the event the lights go out, my ooma is pretty much dead too, even though I have it on a UPS with the rest of our network gear.

You have several choices as to what to do with your existing phone number. You can port it ($40 if you don't have an annual paid Premier subscription, free if you do) and have your telco give you a new number for your landline or you can pay your telco to add call forwarding to your landline and forward the number to your ooma number. I chose a different route since I really didn't like our landline number that much anyways. We have both a cell and landline, like most other folks. Problem was that our cell service is pretty spotty at home so when we arrive we turn the cell off. We always had people trying the wrong number first - calling our home if we were out and about, calling our cell if we were home. Pretty much a 50% chance of getting it wrong. I got a Google Voice number and set it to ring both our home and cell numbers. I thought as long as I can offer a reason to make a change to people's contact lists, they would not mind. I was right! We put a voicemail greeting on the landline that said, "If you have reached this recording you dialed our old number. Our new number is 360-545-xxxx and you may dial it now. This number replaces our home and cell numbers." We haven't received direct calls on that number in months. Google Voice is free and works well for us.
#51887 by PTS
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:05 pm
southsound wrote:You have several choices as to what to do with your existing phone number. . .

The OP stated that the number port completed and his service with Verizon is canceled.
#51893 by southsound
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:21 pm
PTS wrote:
southsound wrote:You have several choices as to what to do with your existing phone number. . .

The OP stated that the number port completed and his service with Verizon is canceled.

Agreed. The OP, Ancalagon, stated that their number had ported.

That is why when I answered the question that was asked by MackT4, I quoted his/her comment about integrating the landline for backup purposes. In another post, MackT4 also talked about having a GV account. It might be said that some of my posts don't make too much sense (especially the ones that are intended to be taken with a grain of salt and a pound of levity) but this time I believe I was spot on.

Elaine Dickinson wrote:There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
#51897 by PTS
Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:56 pm
Oops, sorry.