Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#50643 by greanias
Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:58 pm
Hi All,

First post, just got my Ooma Telo installed and working last night.

Basic functionality appears to be working - outbound calls and inbound calls complete successfully and voice works both ways.

I checked the call logs at the my.ooma.com site and I see inbound/outbound calls properly with call ID info.

My phone handsets show "incomplete data" when run by the Ooma. I have tried to log into the Ooma system locally but it doesn't seem to allow any access (http, ssh, or telent). It does respond to ping from my system (from a system connected on the same switch). It is connected inside my router/modem combo device, and the rest of my home network does not pass through it (connected to other switch ports).

Do I need to be in-line to manage it via the web (or other) interface, and is there any information that I can pull down from said interface to help get to the root of the caller ID issue?

Thanks.
#50717 by Bobby B
Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm
If the caller-ID is showing up OK in the call logs, then the Telo must be receiving the correct caller-ID (the Telo generates the call log with this info).

By chance, can you check if you receive caller-ID OK on a different phone?
#50723 by greanias
Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:07 pm
Thanks. I was able to connect via the host port and set it up with a static IP address. I rebooted the unit, made a successful call out, and and my first test call inbound properly showed caller ID information. I tried again an hour later and it was back to its previous state of no caller ID/incomplete information. I made no network/firewall changes between working/not working.

Per Bobby's reply - the call log info I saw was on the my.ooma.com site, which I would guess are pulled from the cloud rather than my system? Is there something I can check on the unit itself (via the setup.ooma.com web interface or another method)?

I have one other phone, and it also shows no caller ID information (although it is the same make/model, so it is not that great of a difference test).

I haven't seen any info on the overall call architecture/flow, so I apologize if my troubleshooting methodology is off-base.

Thanks much.
#71649 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:21 pm
I just saw your other posts about you setting up your parents with landline integration....

Did you not see SouthSound's signature about friends not letting friends do landline integration? :D

There are a couple of known issues that I recall with landline integration for some folks...incoming callerid not working and VM greeting not coming on.
#71650 by scottlindner
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 pm
lbmofo wrote:I just saw your other posts about you setting up your parents with landline integration....

Did you not see SouthSound's signature about friends not letting friends do landline integration? :D

There are a couple of known issues that I recall with landline integration for some folks...incoming callerid not working and VM greeting not coming on.

There are reasons to do landline integration as well. I initially set out to not do it, but as I was walking them through the steps via Skype remotely I realized it was best to do the integration until they port. Reasons to do it are: account number is your primary number (landline) rather than some mythical Ooma number you'll never remember, phones answer all calls rather than this phone for land line and that phone for Ooma line, one voicemail box (which I later learned doesn't really work due to volume).

Scott
#71651 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:57 pm
Once port completes, login my.ooma.com using ported number will work. Only thing is if you don't have forwarding on existing service then, landline integration maybe beneficial while porting happens.
#71653 by scottlindner
Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:05 pm
lbmofo wrote:Once port completes, login my.ooma.com using ported number will work. Only thing is if you don't have forwarding on existing service then, landline integration maybe beneficial while porting happens.

I didn't know that. Oh well. It isn't really a big deal other than the VM volume issue in the other thread. They are convinced they are going to port and are only waiting to test more because I told them they should. I figure in a week they'll schedule the port, and a week after that this will be a forgotten issue.

I forgot I posted in this thread. I had figured out the Caller ID thing was related only to calls coming in on the integrated landline. They don't have Caller ID service so it makes sense, the data just isn't there for the Telo to grab.

Scott