Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#49057 by jdorin
Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 am
Hey, Ooma, SuperTechs, can we get you to modify the Preferences->Privacy->Anonymous Call Block filtering of Anonymous phone calls to include INVALID numbers, too? Somehow, the telemarketing hucksters have found a way to spoof the phone numbers their Caller ID sends. The supposed ID arrives in some invalid format, but the Ooma Anonymous Caller ID blocking doesn't recognize it as Anonymous, and permits the call to come through anyway.

Here's what I'm talking about: I have my account set to multi-ring incoming calls, to my Hub phone, and to my cell phone. A call that just got through identified itself as 1-111-111-1111 on my cell phone, but as just 2482 in my Ooma Call Log. I have 1-111-111-1111 in my Blacklist, but not 2482. Several calls that have penetrated my blocking of Anonymous calls setting have registered with just a 4-digit number. Earlier, I did receive a call logged as 1-111-111-1111 .. it was a telemarketing call which I subsequently added to my Blacklist .. but 2482? - WTF :shock:

Another trick the Do-Not-Call ignorers are using is to spoof their area code to just a 2-digit number, like (05)123-4567 .. another obviously invalid number - which could be rejected by Ooma if Anonymous Call Blocking was enhanced to block, in addition to "ANONYMOUS," "UNAVAILABLE," "OUT OF AREA," etc., all INVALID numbers (numbers NOT containing a 3-digit area code (possibly preceded with a 1-), a 3-digit exchange, and a 4-digit number).

How about it, OomaGods .. will you block these spoofs, as well :?: ..please..

Thanks, I knew you could :D
#49337 by gman
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:16 pm
I would like to see this feature as well. For the last week I have been receiving several calls a day from the number 0 with the caller id of 0. As this is a single digit, it can't be blacklisted.
#49340 by tommies
Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm
Food for thought.
the telco from the caller should be able to detect the spoofed number vs. their true cid, isn't it? Why don't they do any thing about it?

We should start complaining, first to the FCC, and then to law makers. The louder the complain, the better change some thing will be done about it.

PS.
IMO, the spammers with spoofed numbers are more likely to be fraudulent