Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#48338 by mannino
Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am
What is the function of the USB port in back of the Telo?
#48344 by hpepper
Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:21 am
Right now, if you have a USB to mini USB cable, you can charge your Telo handset or any USB device with it. According to reports from CES, in a short while Ooma will offer a Bluetooth dongle that will plug in... and maybe even more great things in the future.
#48389 by Mike-o-Matic
Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm
hpepper wrote:Right now, if you have a USB to mini USB cable, you can charge your Telo handset or any USB device with it.

Quoting: "or any usb device".... that bit requires a word of caution. Most Motorola cellphones (and possibly other devices) probably won't take a charge that way.

I have tried charging a few such phones (v400, v195, w385) using a USB cord from my PC only to find that it's a no-go. A typical PC USB port will provide 5 volts DC at up to 500mA, and will comfortably power or charge most common low-current USB devices. And I would venture a guess that this is similar to the scenario supported by Telo's USB port.

Unfortunately, it appears Motorola chooses to gouge their customers by having their phones do some sort of handshaking with Motorola-branded chargers. No handshake, and the phone refuses to begin charging. Kind of sneaky actually. Of course, I could simply be completely paranoid and/or wrong :D

NONE of this is ooma's fault of course... just pointin' it out for Moto owners who might get ideas. Can't hurt to try though, I guess.
#48404 by murphy
Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:56 pm
My Motorola charger wall wart with a USB connector is rated at 5.1 volts at 850 ma. No standard USB port will provide that much power.
#48636 by Mike-o-Matic
Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 pm
Wow, that's a high amperage rating, above spec for a 2.0 USB port (though this has been raised from 500mA to 900mA for the USB 3.0 spec). Maybe that's it, then. It would also explain why my inexpensive generic plug-in USB charger warts won't work either on my phones: they all max out at 500mA as well.

I wonder how many mA the Telo can put out on its USB port. Anybody know? My Googling has been unsuccessful.
#48639 by southsound
Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:24 pm
I was hoping to use it to charge the IMA battery in my Honda Civic Hybrid but after reading this thread I guess that may not work.

Darn. Can I have a walnut brownie? Haven't heard about those in a while! :P
#48721 by whn
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:33 pm
Is it USB 2.0?

had to ask
#49421 by foxkid
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 am
Ii have to ask... my OOMA HUB has a USB port also. What is it's purpose? I don't remember if it is a host or a device connector.
#49426 by murphy
Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:33 am
foxkid wrote:Ii have to ask... my OOMA HUB has a USB port also. What is it's purpose? I don't remember if it is a host or a device connector.

It's a host connector. It has no use although someone did once report that it recognized a USB to wireless bridge that he connected to it. My memory says it was D-Link but my memory is too old to be reliable.