Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#48306 by FinalMacGyver
Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm
Hey everyone....I'm new to ooma as of a few hours ago and I have a couple of questions. The first I guess is how long after I update a setting online will it take effect on the ooma? I"ll start out with Im porting my phone number over and currently have it plugged in through the back of the ooma to use my phone number for the time being. With tha being said my home phone provided voicemail that I never setup before that picks up after 4 or 5 rings. I set the ooma online to go to ooma voicemail at 3 so I would be able to get any messages since I don't know the information for my old voice mail. When I did a test call the ooma does not pick up after 3. Will this update overnight?

Second I have two telos for my house. When I call my number using my cell I hear it ring once before and then the ooma rings on the second. Is this becuase of how it is setup with the porting?

Hope this makes sense.

Jason
#48318 by amoney
Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:37 pm
The changes made online should reflect on your device in 5 minutes etc. Some say you may need to reboot the device to pick up the changes.

As far as the ring, I have used my cellular to call other landlines and sometimes it happens just as you discribe. I would not worry about it, though I understand it effecting your issue.
#49263 by ray210
Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 am
I'm having the same problem. I set up my Ooma last night (I have Verizon landline service still), and even though I've set Ooma to pick up and send calls to voicemail within 10 seconds, it still doesn't work; Verizon voicemail picks up, and since it's disabled, it's just asks whether the caller wants to log-in to his/her own voice mailbox with Verizon and, if not, to call the number again. Very disappointing. :(
#49286 by southsound
Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 am
ray210 wrote:I'm having the same problem. I set up my Ooma last night (I have Verizon landline service still), and even though I've set Ooma to pick up and send calls to voicemail within 10 seconds, it still doesn't work; Verizon voicemail picks up, and since it's disabled, it's just asks whether the caller wants to log-in to his/her own voice mailbox with Verizon and, if not, to call the number again. Very disappointing. :(

First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum! Please understand that I am just a fellow ooma user and don't speak for the company - that said, I can't believe that ooma still recommends that their system should be used with an integrated landline during porting. I'm guessing that you are going to port your number to ooma if things work out and that is why you had them set it up to use your landline. Many of the problems we see here as users are due to integration issues. A much better way to use your ooma is to have customer support give you a new number and reconfigure your ooma as stand alone. If you want to use your old number, just have Verizon set up call forwarding until your number ports (they don't have to know they are going to lose you). Then all of your calls to your landline are forwarded to the ooma. You get all of the ooma features and you can really tell how the system will work for you. It will require a call to C/S at 888 711-6662, but I think you will find it worthwhile.
#49300 by ray210
Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 pm
Thanks for that information, southsound! I guess I'll go ahead and do that (call C/S, get a new number, then start the port process from Verizon); I kind of wanted to keep the most basic Verizon landline service (something like $6/month) for standard 911 - and because Fios might be cheaper with a landline (well, as long as Fios is more than $6 cheaper, it's worth keeping a landline with Verizon; actually I might post a question about this in the forum!).
#49309 by southsound
Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:38 pm
ray210 wrote:I kind of wanted to keep the most basic Verizon landline service (something like $6/month) for standard 911 - and because Fios might be cheaper with a landline (well, as long as Fios is more than $6 cheaper, it's worth keeping a landline with Verizon; actually I might post a question about this in the forum!).

Many of us have what you are describing - a basic landline that we keep for power failure or network outage and because it can make your DSL or Fios cheaper, it offers a double bonus. I have a plan with Qwest that requires me to keep a certain level of service until May - then I will drop the extra features and just have the basic line for emergencies. Our DSL is not backed up on Harstine Island where we live, so in the event of a power outage, it is great to still have phone service.

I really didn't care much about our old phone number. It was not easy to remember and people had to call both it and our cell number if they wanted to reach us when out and about. I opted to use Google Voice as a front-end to my ooma systems, my cell phone, and if needed, my landline. The number I got from GV was easy to remember and it is amazing how fast people got used to it. I changed my landline voicemail to be, "If you have reached this recording, you have called our old phone number. We now have a single number that replaces this number and our cell number. That number is 360 xxx xxxx and you may call it now." I rarely get calls on that number anymore and people love the convenience of calling just one number. If you decide to do this, you will not need to port your old number and can just reduce services to whatever level you choose. Plug a corded phone into the landline and you are all set in an emergency - but remember that ooma does have a very robust E911 system that also works very well. If you have questions about GV or any of the above, please feel free to reply or send me a pm using the little envelope under my avatar.