Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#73440 by oomg
Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:11 am
Because I live in an area where cell phone service is sporadic at best, I have retained a single line to allow for phone service in the event that my high speed (cable) internet service, or Ooma's system goes down (most service disruptions are with internet). The cost for that single line is slightly more than $15/mo (about 40% of which are taxes and regulatory fees). Because I run a small business out of my home, I had four lines at home (including dedicated fax line and a dedicated family line) plus a separate business line a an office location where I would meet my clients. Together, my service was costing me almost $240 per month. I now have six lines through Ooma (three systems) which cost me less than $40/mo including applicable taxes, etc., assuming that I were paying $10/mo for Premier plus tax for each. Since I do have that pesky AT&T line (at $15/mo) the total would come to about $55 per month. Look's like I am saving approximately $175 per month. So, the payback for my three systems would be about 3-4 months. However, since I opted for Lifetime Premier on two of the systems, my monthly expense for the six lines is around $13. So, my actual monthly total is less than $30/mo. So, savings are close to $200 per month. (Not too shabby, but probably not a record either.) Payback for all three systems and two Lifetime Premier systems is less than six months. In February, I will have been an Ooma subscriber for two years. I think that deserves a major CHA CHING!!!

Oh yeah, did I mention that the features and service I receive from Ooma are actually better than what I had been receiving from AT&T?
Last edited by oomg on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#73826 by nn5i
Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm
oomg wrote:
nn5i wrote:Hi there, Cha. My best to Mrs Ching and all the little Chings. And I admire your portrait that accompanies your posts.

Yeah... if that's one of his daughters, he will be saving tons of money on weddings. Cha Ching - Cha Ching!!!!!!!

Actually it'll cost him. It would take at least a million-dollar dowry!
#73839 by Zindar
Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:19 am
At first, I saved money by cancelling caller ID from my AT&T landline, and went to a limited calls / month plan, which reduced my bill from a little over $40 to about $18. So for a year, I was saving at least $22 / month. Actually a little less savings than that, because AT&T rudely inched my $18 up to $21 for the bare bones plan. :x

So last October, I dumped my DSL and went with cable-based internet, which freed me from the ball and chain connectng me to AT&T and I abolished my relationship with them, so now my monthly fee to AT&T is $0.00 :cool: (They said they hope I come back to them later.)

My monthly fee to ooma is also $0.00, because I have the original ooma hub that requires absolutely no taxes or fees or anything. :cool: (I don't subscribe to premier service. The one sticking point about not having premier is that we really like the call screening feature, but I found a way to get that feature for free... by letting my own answering machine pick up instead of the ooma hub, this allows call screening to work, so I get to have the features I want for free, and keep my $0.00 monthly bill. :cool: )

I'm currently saving in an admirable way. I keep telling my friends, but nobody will buy ooma for some reason. There's a chance I may be moving to a new house in a few months by the way (same area code), so hopefully it'll be easy to take my ooma with me, and get it set up and working there.
#73842 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 am
Zindar wrote:I keep telling my friends, but nobody will buy ooma for some reason.

People are resistant to change by nature. Once, a guy even told me "$40 a month is no big deal." To which I told him "that's a kick ass new computer every year." Stay at it (but be careful not to come across as "in your face"), slowly they will start asking more questions and eventually get onboard.
#74039 by legendsguy
Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:55 am
I love my Ooma. We have Comcast internet service here in the office. The other day a Comcast salesman called and guaranteed he could save me money on my phone bill. I said "Oh, I don't think you can!". He responded with "Well, what are you paying now?" and I replied "Nothing..I have paid nothing for almost 2 years." He stammered a bit and said "Ok, you are right, I can't save you money." Love it. :D
#74161 by Zindar
Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:45 am
I've gotten the same reaction from cell phone salesman stationed at the shopping mall when I tell them I'm only paying $5 / month for my cell phone service.
#74475 by oomg
Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:31 am
Zindar wrote:I've gotten the same reaction from cell phone salesman stationed at the shopping mall when I tell them I'm only paying $5 / month for my cell phone service.

Sounds interesting... tell us more. Sounds like Ooma mobile on an iPod Touch.
#74492 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am
oomg wrote:
Zindar wrote:I've gotten the same reaction from cell phone salesman stationed at the shopping mall when I tell them I'm only paying $5 / month for my cell phone service.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10594&start=10#p73567
#75565 by oomg
Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 am
lbmofo wrote:
oomg wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10594&start=10#p73567

Thanks for the link. I have added to it. How about emergency cell phone service with a major carrier for $2.50 per month (or less). Just click on the link.
#90525 by stubeeef
Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:42 am
stubeeef wrote:Now at one year! Saved about $60 a month for 12 months now=$720 not going to Ma Bell. Telo and 2 handsets - $720 I have saved nearly $410 bucks. While that may sound like a small number, if you consider most bills are rising (at least mine are) and this one is dropping-it is even larger. Next year it will be $720-premier-taxes=$590! I can find a lot better things than a phone bill to use that $590 on. Dave Ramsey would be proud. :D

Coming up on the FIRST $1,000 after 2 years and that is with Premier and considering the cost of the Telo and 2 handsets!!
If I could only find a way to do this with my mortgage..... :D
I am a Happy Camper :D ;)