Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#46597 by topwinder
Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm
Hi,

I see a lot of callerID related issues. Let me share my issues here. My Ooma and Landline are *NOT* integrated.

First couple of days of Ooma ownership, the CNAM was transmitted as "Unavailable", and I would get the correct CallerID. However 3rd day onwards, I get "Private Caller" on my landline (ATT Uverse) with no CallerID. On my cellphone (T-mobile) I get the CallerID (no name obviously). My office phone displayed the CallerID too (Office phone system does not pull in the CNAM for external callers). So very likely the problem is due some setup issue with CNAM database. Does Ooma support have some way of verifying the CNAM issues?

I have waited now more than 10 days for the database to prosper, but still no change in my callerID situation. Please help. I have tried everything from *67 and power cycling the unit. (I have a Ooma Hub).

*Edit*: I did not port my number.
#46666 by southsound
Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:03 pm
First off, if it has not been said before, welcome to ooma.

On to the CNAM issues. From what most of us understand, when a carrier assigns a number to a new subscriber, they enter the CNAM information into what ever database holder they are associated with. The information is aggregated and then local phone companies "dip" into that master database to update their own internal database. I understand that this "dipping" may not be free - so some telco's choose to dip only occasionally. So if ooma sends off the correct information, it may take several days for the information to propagate. That is why they tell you 10 days.

Now to real life. I bought my ooma hub 12 months ago. Gave ooma my correct information and waited my 10 days. Name was reported as Unavailable. So I was told that Qwest, my provider does not update very often because of the cost. So I waited a few more weeks. Then I put in my first ticket. It was closed by ooma with my name still showing as unavailable. In fact, over the last year, at least 4 tickets have been opened and closed by ooma. Would you care to guess what the caller ID says when I call another Qwest customer 12 months after my purchase? You guessed it, Unavailable. When I call another ooma user, it comes up with my name. So that would leave you to believe that Qwest has not "dipped" in the last 12 months.

But wait, there's more. I got my Telo in August. Less than a week later, it started showing up with MY NAME!! Now, several months later, it still does. I called up CS and asked them to clone the information from my Telo to my hub. The CS person said, sure! Well, you can imagine how effective that was because as stated above, the hub still shows Unavailable.

I love ooma. I love the concept and many of the support people. I can't imagine going without it. But I know that I will never have my name associated with my hub. And that is really OK because the call quality is stellar and the cost is priceless. I don't want to discourage you, but just wanted to inject a healthy dose of reality into the situation. Since I use Google Voice as a front end for most of our calling, I really don't mind what the CID shows. With GV they tell you that your name won't appear. Setting expectations is a good thing.

And did I mention, Welcome to ooma? :cool:

Question to anyone who might care to respond: I can order a new domain name for a website. Go online and change the name servers to my own. Set up a hosting account with my provider. Add content. And within an hour or less, that information is propagated to DNS servers worldwide. You enter that domain name and it takes you to the server where the information is posted. Can anyone tell me why we should expect anything different from our phone service? Hasn't phone service been around since Alexander Graham Bell where the Internet only since Al Gore invented it?
#46688 by murphy
Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 am
DNS propagation is free.
The land line phone companies are still in the nickel and dime you mode.
They just recently stopped charging $0.90 to $1.00 extra for touchtone service.
Of course they raised their rates so I'm sure it's still in there.
If touchtone service had been free when it was introduced, they could have abandoned their mechanical switches 30 years ago.
#46698 by Tiger5353
Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:47 am
Murphy's right the phone company's love to charge you any way they can for anything. I remember, (yes i am that old) when they first came out with called-id, (for a price of course) then for another price you could block caller-id so even if you had caller-id, (which again you had to pay for) you still couldn't tell who was calling you. Then (for another price) you could get anti-caller-id unblock so even if a person had caller-id block you could still get the caller-id. Ok my head's hurting now and so is my wallet. :|
#46699 by caseybea
Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 am
Tiger5353 wrote:Murphy's right the phone company's love to charge you any way they can for anything. I remember, (yes i am that old) when they first came out with called-id, (for a price of course) then for another price you could block caller-id so even if you had caller-id, (which again you had to pay for) you still couldn't tell who was calling you. Then (for another price) you could get anti-caller-id unblock so even if a person had caller-id block you could still get the caller-id. Ok my head's hurting now and so is my wallet. :|

Want to know one of the main drivers for me switching to Ooma? Caller-id. specifically, the abhorrant high fees AT&T charges for Caller-id with name. Just having that is 30% of my entire landline phone bill.

Byebye, landline.
#46704 by scottlindner
Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 am
I know the telcos love to nickel and dime, but I don't believe that's why it is slow to propagate changes that DNS does fast. DNS, from the very beginning, was intended to be global and dynamic in nature. Telephone switching on the other hand has always been regionally controlled. It was never conceived to be used in the way we use Internet domain names today. That is a very recent change through law. Remember, it was also law that made this complicated in the first place by enabling and forcing a single telco to control everything for an entire region. This led to the evolution of different business models, different business processes, and different IT systems to manage this within each region. That's why it is so painful, because we're trying to force national scale change on a business that has been set in place for nearly 100 years, whereas with DNS and the Internet, it was intended to be that way from conception.

Scott
#46819 by topwinder
Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm
southsound wrote:First off, if it has not been said before, welcome to ooma.
And did I mention, Welcome to ooma? :cool:

Thanks for the welcome!.

From what I have observed, this is probably not a Ooma issue per se. I haven't yet called too many with my ooma, so I wouldn't know if the problem is on Ooma side or my other carrier (ATT Uverse). On services that dont look up the CNAM, I get the number fine. But with, at least one service, I am getting the "Private Caller" with no CID. If it were "Unknown", it would at least display the number (as it worked a initial few days). I generally don't pick up "Private Caller" calls, so I am worried if this continues, people with similar mindset as mine will ignore my calls (I guess the adage "reap what you sow" will come true for me).

Other than the caller ID niggle, I am loving Ooma, it is already delivering a lot more than my previous land line, and is going to cost me ... nothing!