Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#46593 by gunfyter
Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:22 pm
I get calls from it seems a plethora of toll free numbers with caller ID name = "800 Service" ... for people who I do not know. when a message is left it is a collection agency....

I add the number to the Blacklist but it seems they always come up with another number....

The blacklist is the primary reason I got the OOMA because of this issue.

Is there no end to the telephone numbers these people use?
#46714 by aviatorden
Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 am
I have the same problem since I ported my number. Its getting to be a nuisance. I have blocked about 20 800 Service numbers.
#46826 by amoney
Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 pm
As for incorrect collectors, I recommend returning their call and informing them they have the incorrect number, its a decent chance to stop your number being continually passed around to other agency's.

Sometimes it is good to answer these calls and request to be removed, again decent chance you can "kill 2 birds with one stone" sort of speak (your request in a large company database to prevent otehr future calls for other junk).

To review I used the gov do not call list, we also payed that extra buck on our landline to be UNLISTED, and the occasional solicitation call when we feel up to it and have a chance to answer - we request to be removed. We have very few solicitor calls. Recently we just have Bank of America calling for some refinance offer bull crap. We have not had a chance to answer.

On a side note I get constantly asked why people get SPAM in there email inbox, and worst look at me how I can stop a spammer spamming a person from the persons own email address. Note that the offending IP is in some thrid world country that you have the same chance of a response from email support of the managing ISP service as the same as Ooma's email support.

There will be always solicitors. Now that community black list is a great idea, perhaps even better if Ooma can have an option to direct blacklist calls to a message requesting removal! Hey at least it would make you feel better. I even tried to rig the invalid number sound on my answering machine recording to trick automated call centers. Not entirely sure if I had success, but it was a neat thought.
#47250 by whn
Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm
Get on the DO NOT CALL LIST, register your number

DONOTCALL.GOV

Then report each call that occurs at your number. every time to

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/compla ... check.aspx

Also use your blacklist, you have 128 numbers you can block.

The last thing you can do , is find out who they are and send them CEASE AND DESIST LETTERS via CERTIFIED US MAIL with RETURN RECEIPT .

If they continue to call you after they got the letter, you can sue them for $1,000 per call for FDCPA violations.

Research and read about the FDCPA.

Peace