Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#46344 by pocono1
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:08 pm
I presently have a landline in my vacation home. It is my intention to use my telo in its place.

During the winter, one of the uses I have for the landline is to call it and get my voicemail (on my phone not with my carrier). That way I can tell whether or not my electricity is on. Will I be able to notice a difference between the ooma voicemail picking up when my ooma is working or when it goes into backup?
#46347 by hpepper
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 pm
pocono1 wrote:I presently have a landline in my vacation home. It is my intention to use my telo in its place.

During the winter, one of the uses I have for the landline is to call it and get my voicemail (on my phone not with my carrier). That way I can tell whether or not my electricity is on. Will I be able to notice a difference between the ooma voicemail picking up when my ooma is working or when it goes into backup?

I have noticed on mine that when i call my own Telo and it was down, I went directly into VM as opposed to hearing ring-back first before the VM. BUT, if it goes directly to voicemail, it could also mean your Internet service is out.

One other option is to set the number of rings on Ooma to the maximum and still have your own VM system pick up in a few rings. Then, when the call goes to Ooma VM - you would know. Not 100% foolproof though.
#46349 by pocono1
Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 pm
Thanks.

I did not think that my voice mail would work with the ooma, especially if i get the telo handset. But as long as it would go to voicemail immediately if the power or modem were down--that would work fine for my purposes.