Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#46328 by wym
Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 pm
It seems most VoIP players (e.g. MagicJack, Vonage, Skype) provide unlimited calling to both US and Canada. I am wondering why ooma charge international call rate on calls to Canada. It actually blocked out potential users who live in Canada or who have relatives and friends in Canada.
#46340 by DTMF
Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 pm
It could be that Ooma hasn't found a termination provider in Canada who can connect calls as inexpensively as their US termination provider.
#46380 by amoney
Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm
Magicjack installed software is AD based, so they get large profit that way to cover the cost of calls.

Vonage, well, add in all the additional fees, you better get free calling for what your paying. Thats easy $30mo compared to Ooma which is as cheap as $0mo.

Skype I would wager pulls it off via their infrastructure and partnership, for flat out cheaper rates. Ooma again on its thin margin can not compete.
#46510 by wym
Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am
I actually found a way to call Canada for free - through Google Voice. Though, I still think it will be eventally rewarding to ooma to include Canada in its unlimited call plan to attract more potential customers.
#46930 by homeless
Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:38 pm
amoney wrote:Magicjack installed software is AD based, so they get large profit that way to cover the cost of calls.

Vonage, well, add in all the additional fees, you better get free calling for what your paying. Thats easy $30mo compared to Ooma which is as cheap as $0mo.

Skype I would wager pulls it off via their infrastructure and partnership, for flat out cheaper rates. Ooma again on its thin margin can not compete.

You sound like "because I am free, I can be sh!t". Not to mention Ooma ISN'T FREE, nothing is free mate ;)
Yes, free call to Canada would be nice.... eventhough I don't have any Canadian number.
#46950 by amoney
Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:04 pm
homeless wrote:
amoney wrote:Magicjack installed software is AD based, so they get large profit that way to cover the cost of calls.

You sound like "because I am free, I can be sh!t". Not to mention Ooma ISN'T FREE, nothing is free mate ;)
Yes, free call to Canada would be nice.... eventhough I don't have any Canadian number.

Perhaps misunderstanding, but I dont understand how you interpret my post as saying Ooma is free so it does not need to offer incuded call to Canada. You even said nothing is free, so by that same token why are you implying that Ooma should have Canada calls free?

This thread asked the question why doesnt Ooma offer Canada calling free? So part of the explainations was that other companies spam your computer with advertisements, or charge more to cover the cost, or are bigger and have better partners cheaper rates. If one does not like Ooma rates, one can go elsewhere.

Your argument of it should be free "just because" is sh!t. You surely dont own your own company.

:D