Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#45781 by jfinni6914@aol.com
Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 am
[code][/code] I have a problem where if someone calls me on my Ooma number and I answer before the second ring I get, and they hear, fax machine type noises. I do not have a fax machine installed.

I also noticed my alarm system no longer dials out properly since converting my landline number. Not sure its a related problem or not. Ooma worked (tested 26 call-outs, connected 26 times) before. Now, it dials out, the service answers and then the "squaking" starts but never connects.

Any suggestions?
#45796 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am
jfinni6914@aol.com wrote:[code][/code] I have a problem where if someone calls me on my Ooma number and I answer before the second ring I get, and they hear, fax machine type noises. I do not have a fax machine installed.

I also noticed my alarm system no longer dials out properly since converting my landline number. Not sure its a related problem or not. Ooma worked (tested 26 call-outs, connected 26 times) before. Now, it dials out, the service answers and then the "squaking" starts but never connects.

Any suggestions?

Always wait until after the second ring to answer a phone. The caller ID information is transmitted between the first and second ring using either a 1200 or a 2400 baud modem (I forget the exact specs). This is universal, not just Ooma.
If you want caller ID you must wait until the second ring.
#45839 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 pm
murphy wrote:
jfinni6914@aol.com wrote:[code][/code] I have a problem where if someone calls me on my Ooma number and I answer before the second ring I get, and they hear, fax machine type noises. I do not have a fax machine installed.

Any suggestions?

Always wait until after the second ring to answer a phone. The caller ID information is transmitted between the first and second ring using either a 1200 or a 2400 baud modem (I forget the exact specs). This is universal, not just Ooma.
If you want caller ID you must wait until the second ring.

I dont think the question was regarding caller ID, even still, you should not hear anything fom the caller ID, I know what your saying, but even when I pick up the phone before the caller ID info displays I dont hear a computer transmission.

I would sugest that it may be the security system picking up. By default security system do not work well with Ooma.

Unplug your security system, and check if you hear the noise still.