Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#45619 by stevenvillatoro
Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 am
I've had ooma Premier service for a year, and had looked forward to the instant second line feature. But I can't yet get this feature to work in the way I had expected. I have a hub and two scouts (only one scout hooked up).

I often need outgoing instant second line access from ANY other handset (4-6 total handsets) whenever one line is already in use. Also, I need for ALL incoming calls to ring ALL handsets for my two phone numbers.

So far, every configuration suggested by ooma has either (1) joined me to an existing phone conversation by someone in my house when I try to call out on an instant second line, or (2) required a non-shared hub/scout setup that restricted incoming calls to only certain handsets in the house, rather than ALL.

My questions:
1. Is it possible to connect EITHER one or two cordless phone base stations each with multiple handsets to the hub and/or scout in such a way that ALL handsets can make/receive calls for TWO ooma phone numbers while ANOTHER HANDSET IS ALREADY IN USE?

2. If the reply to the above question is "No," then could I accomplish my desired goal by upgrading to a Telo system? And would I specifically need Telo handsets, or could I use my existing cordless base station and satellite handsets?

Thank you!
#45621 by ggilman
Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:48 am
When you want to make the 2nd call (someone is on line 1), you go to a device (scout or hub) which isn't currently being directly used (i.e. it's not attached to a cordless handset that the person using line 1 is on), and click the "2" button before dialing. No need to have a non-shared setup.

My assumption is that right now you are using a handset from the same wireless phone and you can't really do that. You have to make the 2nd call from a different hub/scout. You can use two separate wireless phones, let's say one on the hub and one on the scout, and talk via both wireless phones at the same time though.

For the Telo question, each Telo handset works as a separate "scout" function and there is room for just 1 regular (non telo handset) phone. So, assuming someone is on one Telo handset, you can change to line 2 on any other Telo handset before dialing to get the 2nd line. Likewise, you can use the non-telo handset phone as the 2nd line by clicking the "2" on the base module.
#45633 by stevenvillatoro
Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:41 pm
Let me see if I can repeat what you said in my own words.

1. With the original ooma system, it is impossible to use my ONE base with multiple handsets and expect to get an instant second line whenever someone else is already using a line.

2. If I were to buy a Telo system with up to four Telo handsets, then from any Telo handset I could select an instant second line to dial out whenever someone else is already using a line. And all Telo handsets would ring when someone dialed in.

Is that accurate? Thanks.
#45659 by ggilman
Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:07 pm
1. Not exactly. Let's say you had a single cordless phone with 4 handsets tied to your hub. It's not possible to be talking on 2 lines at once. It's not 'handsets' that you need multiple of. It is phones with associated hub/scouts. So, let's say you have two cordless phones. One on the hub, one on a scout. They each have multiple handsets. You can talk on a handset attached to the hub while simultaneously talking on a handset attached to the scout.

To make it clearer, assume 2 handsets on the hub, labeled H1 and H2. Now, 2 handsets attached to the scout S1 and S2. You can talk on H1 and S1 as 2 separate conversations but H1 and H2 are tied, just 1 conversation going on.

2. Yes. In the "Hub" world, the Telo handsets would be similar to having 4 separate scouts so you could be on handset 1 and get a separate line on handset 2.
#45702 by stevenvillatoro
Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 pm
ggilman wrote:1. Not exactly. Let's say you had a single cordless phone with 4 handsets tied to your hub. It's not possible to be talking on 2 lines at once. It's not 'handsets' that you need multiple of. It is phones with associated hub/scouts.
Thanks for confirming what I had concluded. I think the instant second line should always carry a disclaimer about its equipment requirements. While very happy with ooma (and the savings), I have gotten wrong information on this topic from ooma customer service reps. Now I see that I'll have to start all over again with a Telo system and handsets, an expensive proposition. Ho hum.
#45720 by murphy
Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:22 am
stevenvillatoro wrote:
ggilman wrote:1. Not exactly. Let's say you had a single cordless phone with 4 handsets tied to your hub. It's not possible to be talking on 2 lines at once. It's not 'handsets' that you need multiple of. It is phones with associated hub/scouts.
Thanks for confirming what I had concluded. I think the instant second line should always carry a disclaimer about its equipment requirements. While very happy with ooma (and the savings), I have gotten wrong information on this topic from ooma customer service reps. Now I see that I'll have to start all over again with a Telo system and handsets, an expensive proposition. Ho hum.

Purchase a two line cordless phone system with as many handsets as you need.
Sit the hub and scout side by side and connect a short phone cable between their wall ports.
Connect the phone port of the hub to line 1 of the two line cordless phone system.
Connect the phone port of the scout to line 2 of the two line cordless phone system.

Each of those cordless handsets will have access to both lines at all times.
If you have Premier, you can have two simultaneous phone conversations in progress using one phone number.
#47895 by mevman
Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:32 am
murphy wrote:
stevenvillatoro wrote:

Purchase a two line cordless phone system with as many handsets as you need.
Sit the hub and scout side by side and connect a short phone cable between their wall ports.
Connect the phone port of the hub to line 1 of the two line cordless phone system.
Connect the phone port of the scout to line 2 of the two line cordless phone system.

Each of those cordless handsets will have access to both lines at all times.
If you have Premier, you can have two simultaneous phone conversations in progress using one phone number.

Exactly my setup and works just fine.