Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.

HD?

#45084 by VicMatson
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:56 pm
With the new Ooma HD sound that's about to happen, will it work with other HD systems like Skype?
#45094 by amoney
Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 pm
It is a newer codec that requires both parties to have a supported handset.

The HD buzz word is thrown around to much in my opinion, I am more interested to see how "pure voice" will help call quality. My call quality is pretty good, but at times I can hear background noise of some sorts, that falls on the partner carriers. If that can all be cleaned up to sound like my original landline, now that will be HD!!
#45095 by VicMatson
Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm
I think they both use the same codec, and I have to tell you that if you have HD headsets on both ends of the Skype call it is amazing. That's why I'm wondering if the two systems are comparable.
#45110 by Davesworld
Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm
amoney wrote:It is a newer codec that requires both parties to have a supported handset.

The HD buzz word is thrown around to much in my opinion, I am more interested to see how "pure voice" will help call quality. My call quality is pretty good, but at times I can hear background noise of some sorts, that falls on the partner carriers. If that can all be cleaned up to sound like my original landline, now that will be HD!!

It's not really very new, it's been around for a while now. Interestingly g.722 support is a feature of Freeswitch so no surprise that the Telo could easily support it. Supposedly many corded phones could actually handle it but not many cordless phones can. I' m trying to get a good answer as to what codec the DECT cordless phones use between the base and handset. I've heard g.726 for first generation and a wider band codec for new models but I need more data. Nobody ever speaks about bandwidth when advertising DECT systems.