Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#44770 by qchau
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 pm
If I use more then 5K minutes, how much are the additional minutes going to cost? And have anyone every been charge for going over the 5K minutes? I gave my mother an ooma system and she is retire and usually have nothing better to do then to watch tv and talk on the phone. I know she can easily go over 5K outbound mins every month. On top of that when I visit her usually on the weekday I would use her phone and call into my meeting which is normally 3 hours worth. Between her usage and mine. I would figure we can use 8K to 15K per month. And just for the record I do not run a business out of her house.
#44773 by dsinternet
Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 am
It is my understanding that the 5000 limit is a "red flag" for Ooma. If you go over 5000 min's then Ooma can look into it and decide if you are abusing the system. If they feel you are then they can legally do something about it since they state 5000 is the limit. It is my guess that they would not do anything if you are mainly using it for the home and not a home office.
#44775 by murphy
Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 am
Your mother needs to make her incoming calling match her outbound calling. Ooma makes money on inbound calls, unless they come from another Ooma user.
#44791 by qchau
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:06 am
My mother's incoming would be equal if not more then her outbound calls. Also I didn't know that ooma makes money on all inbound call except for ooma2ooma. How did you come about this info?
#44793 by doug
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 am
qchau wrote:I gave my mother an ooma system and she is retire and usually have nothing better to do then to watch tv and talk on the phone. I know she can easily go over 5K outbound mins every month.

Two suggestions:

1) Tell her to ask some of her friends call her back, so the minutes become inbound instead. This is assuming the other party is local and has unlimited service.

2) Encourage some of those she has the longest chats with to also become ooma customers. Since the calls never go outside the ooma network, there are no termination costs involved and I believe they do not apply against the 5K red flag threshold.

I think ooma can be a wonderful solution for retired folks on a fixed income. Especially if they also have a cell phone that can be used in the case of a medical or other emergency if their internet or ooma is down. Most old cell phones can be used to call 911, even if they aren't activated as a current customer. Just make sure they have one with good signal strength, and they keep it charged up.
#44797 by murphy
Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 am
qchau wrote:My mother's incoming would be equal if not more then her outbound calls. Also I didn't know that ooma makes money on all inbound call except for ooma2ooma. How did you come about this info?

It's the way all phone companies make money. They charge the calling phone company to complete the connection. It's not very much but it adds up. It's also why traditional land line phone service has always been free for incoming calls.