Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#44642 by crusader
Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 pm
Hi,

Is there "night mode" in Ooma Hub? I got used to the idea of my phone sending every incoming call to voice mail suring 11pm-9am period :-) and I'd really like having this in my newly purchased Ooma.

Also, what about firmware updates -- are they automatic? or I should do it manually from time to time?

Thanks!

Michael.
#44646 by murphy
Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:06 pm
crusader wrote:Hi,

Is there "night mode" in Ooma Hub? I got used to the idea of my phone sending every incoming call to voice mail suring 11pm-9am period :-) and I'd really like having this in my newly purchased Ooma.

Also, what about firmware updates -- are they automatic? or I should do it manually from time to time?

Thanks!

Michael.

Press and hold the envelope button until it turns on. All calls will go to voice mail.

Firmware updates are automatic. There is nothing that you can do to trigger them.
#44647 by crusader
Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:09 pm
murphy wrote:
crusader wrote:Is there "night mode" in Ooma Hub? I got used to the idea of my phone sending every incoming call to voice mail suring 11pm-9am period :-).

Press and hold the envelope button until it turns on. All calls will go to voice mail.

I know about this feature. But... Do you propose me to go to my server closet and press envelope button twice per day? I do not think it is a good idea. :-)

Michael.
#44697 by farmington
Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 am
Understood that Ooma is focused on higher priority issues at the moment. But, an amazing feature would be blocking all calls from numbers not in the Contact list when in a (future) night mode. You want family to be able to call late at night if there is an emergency. On the other hand, you don't wan't to receive wrong number phone calls late at night from people who can't dial correctly because they can't see the numbers on their own phone's keypad. That feature might have much appeal (even if it is hardly ever triggered).
#44709 by gregg098
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 am
If you use Google Voice, you can already specify DND times. With GVE, this may be even easier.
#44714 by crusader
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:51 am
farmington wrote:Understood that Ooma is focused on higher priority issues at the moment. But, an amazing feature would be blocking all calls from numbers not in the Contact list when in a (future) night mode.

Well, in my case I definitely want *all* calls to go to voice mail :-D. Come on, how hard it is to implement? As someone who did quite a bit of software development I'd expect it should take less than few hours to implement and test it.

gregg098 wrote:If you use Google Voice, you can already specify DND times. With GVE, this may be even easier.

Can you elaborate, pls? I've got some buzzwords but there is no way I understood what do you mean :-)
#44718 by gregg098
Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:59 am
DND = Do Not Disturb

GVE is the Google Voice Extenstions that ooma will launch sometime soon.

The extensions will allow you to make Google Voice part of your ooma system to an extent. With google voice, you can specify times that you dont want your phone to ring.
#44719 by crusader
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:15 am
gregg098 wrote:The extensions will allow you to make Google Voice part of your ooma system to an extent. With google voice, you can specify times that you dont want your phone to ring.

Is there any document that explains how Ooma<->Google Voice integration is going to look like? (i.e. principles, diagrams, etc)
#44721 by DTMF
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:33 am
farmington wrote:Understood that Ooma is focused on higher priority issues at the moment. But, an amazing feature would be blocking all calls from numbers not in the Contact list when in a (future) night mode. You want family to be able to call late at night if there is an emergency. On the other hand, you don't wan't to receive wrong number phone calls late at night from people who can't dial correctly because they can't see the numbers on their own phone's keypad. That feature might have much appeal (even if it is hardly ever triggered).

I see more disadvantages than advantages to what you propose. What if a relative calls from a hospital phone at 3 AM to tell you another relative is hospitalized? What if the police call at 3 AM to tell you a relative is hospitalized or in jail? I think I'd prefer to put up with the nuisance of occasional wrong number calls in exchange for receiving those calls.
#44724 by crusader
Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 am
DTMF wrote:I see more disadvantages than advantages to what you propose. What if a relative calls from a hospital phone at 3 AM to tell you another relative is hospitalized? What if the police call at 3 AM to tell you a relative is hospitalized or in jail? I think I'd prefer to put up with the nuisance of occasional wrong number calls in exchange for receiving those calls.

Lets agree that this should be configurable... ;-) Personally, I really do not like to be woken up at 3am by relative who ended up in jail. He can wait until morning. Or remember my mobile #.