Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#44376 by drfstuff
Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:59 am
Why do I not see a fax mode option in Preferences>system? According to Bobby B and the new release notes, it should be available.
#44386 by murphy
Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 am
You have to click on the phone number to see it.
#44430 by sfhub
Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:22 pm
And to further clarify, according to Ooma reps, fax mode isn't needed for incoming faxes on the hub because it is supposed to have detection routines that will switch to fax mode when the fax tones are detected.
#44606 by tailwheel
Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:59 am
I have a hub and I used to have this option and had it enabled, which I understand just changes the codec used to G.711 fro iLBC. I suspect I'm still using the G.711 codec (fax mode enabled) because *99 doesn't seem to make a difference.
I've read in another thread that Hub users can call CS to have it changed. I don't understand why the option in My Ooma only exists for Telo users - if it can be enabled by calling CS, why not just make it an option in My Ooma for hub users?

I guess I'm just curious because I've been happy with my call quality and probably wouldn't be changing it anyway.
#44613 by Potts
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:36 am
tailwheel wrote:I have a hub and I used to have this option and had it enabled, which I understand just changes the codec used to G.711 fro iLBC. I suspect I'm still using the G.711 codec (fax mode enabled) because *99 doesn't seem to make a difference.
I've read in another thread that Hub users can call CS to have it changed. I don't understand why the option in My Ooma only exists for Telo users - if it can be enabled by calling CS, why not just make it an option in My Ooma for hub users?

I guess I'm just curious because I've been happy with my call quality and probably wouldn't be changing it anyway.

Good post tailwheel I support your findings. Why not just make it an option in My Ooma for hub users?
#44614 by murphy
Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:51 am
tailwheel wrote:I have a hub and I used to have this option and had it enabled, which I understand just changes the codec used to G.711 fro iLBC. I suspect I'm still using the G.711 codec (fax mode enabled) because *99 doesn't seem to make a difference.

The option was removed because too many people selected it and they were worried that the servers would be overloaded. It's not necessary for the hub since the hub can detect an incoming fax and automatically switch to fax mode. The Telo doesn't have that ability. If it was enabled when they removed the option, it's probably still enabled. You would have to call CS to have it turned off.
#44622 by Potts
Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm
murphy. I have the Hub & Scout and have problems sending faxes. I fax maybe once or twice a year using an HP 5610, before porting over from AT&T I never had a problem. We have Premier and never called CS although I did read many postings for trouble shooting.

As far as Ooma telephone I'm very happy all features work, I just can't send a fax. Any tips?