Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#43964 by southsound
Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:25 pm
sbunning wrote:
The phone filter is working!!! :D :D

The phone integration. Can that be changed now? Or just leave it since the filter is working?

If it continues to work the way it is now I will probably port our number over. How will I need to set it up then? Would I just disconnect the Telo from the wall port?

All of you have bee SO helpful. Thank You! I was becoming very frustrated with it.

I'm glad that the filter is working. Now as to your questions... I have never liked landline integration because it does not give a real test of how well ooma is working, it causes you to loose some of the great ooma features (especially if you have premier), and it can cause problems. That said, if it is working well for you now, no need to change it. If you decide to port your number, there are some steps you will need to follow. Right now, your phone number and DSL account are married. If you were to port, when ooma had the telco disconnect your number as part of the port process, your DSL would go dead as well. You need to have Qwest set up your DSL with its own number - what we call a Dry Loop. Then, when you port, your DSL will continue to be great. After you port (or if you decide to have ooma remove the landline integration) you just unplug your cable from the wall to the wall jack. If you want to keep your number during the port, just have Qwest set up a call forward from your existing number to the new number ooma will give you when you de-integrate ( I hope that is a word :P ) You might also want to check to see how expensive your DSL will be without a phone line. It might actually be cheaper - or as cheap - to keep a basic landline for backup in case of power or Internet outage. I have Qwest as well and that is what I have chosen to do. As a side note, Qwest backs up their landline with batteries in case of a power outage. They do not back up their DSL in this area. If we lose power, we lose DSL (and of course, ooma). Our basic landline continues to be available for emergency calls. I use a Google Voice number as a front end to my calls so if one service goes out, I am able to just switch forwarding and my callers never know. Just a thought.
#43976 by sbunning
Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:39 pm
southsound wrote:
sbunning wrote:
The phone filter is working!!! :D :D

The phone integration. Can that be changed now? Or just leave it since the filter is working?

If it continues to work the way it is now I will probably port our number over. How will I need to set it up then? Would I just disconnect the Telo from the wall port?

All of you have bee SO helpful. Thank You! I was becoming very frustrated with it.

I'm glad that the filter is working. Now as to your questions... I have never liked landline integration because it does not give a real test of how well ooma is working, it causes you to loose some of the great ooma features (especially if you have premier), and it can cause problems. That said, if it is working well for you now, no need to change it. If you decide to port your number, there are some steps you will need to follow. Right now, your phone number and DSL account are married. If you were to port, when ooma had the telco disconnect your number as part of the port process, your DSL would go dead as well. You need to have Qwest set up your DSL with its own number - what we call a Dry Loop. Then, when you port, your DSL will continue to be great. After you port (or if you decide to have ooma remove the landline integration) you just unplug your cable from the wall to the wall jack. If you want to keep your number during the port, just have Qwest set up a call forward from your existing number to the new number ooma will give you when you de-integrate ( I hope that is a word :P ) You might also want to check to see how expensive your DSL will be without a phone line. It might actually be cheaper - or as cheap - to keep a basic landline for backup in case of power or Internet outage. I have Qwest as well and that is what I have chosen to do. As a side note, Qwest backs up their landline with batteries in case of a power outage. They do not back up their DSL in this area. If we lose power, we lose DSL (and of course, ooma). Our basic landline continues to be available for emergency calls. I use a Google Voice number as a front end to my calls so if one service goes out, I am able to just switch forwarding and my callers never know. Just a thought.

Thank You! I called qwest today to do the dry loop and the rep said that once we port the number and shut off the land line the account will automatically switch over to standalone DSL. She said that is how other customers have been doing it. :?: If we do the basic line with DSL it would be about $56 before the extra fees and tax and about $46 for standalone. Both of us have cell phones. Hopefully that will keep us covered. Than You for the suggestion. I will need to check about the power outages for DSL.

Stefanie