Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#42404 by JTalbert
Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:53 pm
Anyone notice that picture of the handset online and even on the box, is nothing like the actual handset you get in the box? The edges on the front seem smooth, the handset seems longer in the picture, with a ooma logo above the LCD and below the earpiece, and the LCD is a dark LCD with white lettering?

This is a crock, I feel robbed, ripped off, this is false advertising. There are laws against garbage like this, the handset could not be any more different from the picture to the actual product. I am not buying a big mac, or fast food, I expect the product to look like it does on the packaging.
#42408 by VicMatson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:12 pm
You can take it back if you want! But, no disrespect intended, stay away from Burger King.

That being said the display is sad and the phone seems to respond slowly.
#42416 by JTalbert
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:54 pm
I have been playing around with it. its not a horrible phone. Once all the features are enabled it will be even a better phone. The sound quality is nice on both ends, and after using it for a while I will get use to its shortcomings. The LCD is the biggest disappointment.

I am anxious for the primary line to become active so I can get full use out of my service.
#42419 by VicMatson
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:07 pm
Dito.

I was under the impression that when Google Voice extentions were deployed the telo handset would display GV IM's. If so, being old, I won't be able to read them without getting a headache.

Btw, does using the menu up/down feature adjust the volume for you? Not so much for me.
#42430 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 pm
I was going to get a bunch but bailed last second, I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt even expecting some short comings, but I quickly discovered user issues, and decided that I could not tolerate a poor handset, I was worried about the LCD but at the time what put the nail in the coffin was the muti handsets where not working at that time (they are now). In the end the Telo handsets were not going to suit me. Although Panasonic removed many previous features I am still happy with their newer handset.

As far as the Telo handset, I understand what people are referring to as edges are not smooth but, over all I disagree, the phone is pretty much as pictured. Perhaps not exactly to the detail but I dont think its way off design. The edge thing, not sure if people are referring to the side profile or the push buttons? I do agree the Telo handset design is not as ergonomical/functional as modern day phones... large LCD and all.

Pics below are not mine.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/gallery/a ... 2009/6591/
Last edited by amoney on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#42432 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:20 pm
#42433 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:21 pm
#42456 by JTalbert
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:10 pm
amoney wrote:I understand what people are referring to as edges are not smooth but, over all I disagree, the phone is pretty much as pictured. Perhaps not exactly to the detail but I dont think its way off design. The edge thing, not sure if people are referring to the side profile or the push buttons? I do agree the Telo handset design is not as ergonomical/functional as modern day phones... large LCD and all.

The design is different enough that a new picture should have been put on the box. The biggest most drastic change between the photo phone and the real phone is the LCD. The photo shows a dark LCD with white text, with a bold font that is easy to read and even the you have voicemail text on the photo is different than what is displayed on the phone. The one other major change is the ring around the arrow keys, from the photo thats backlit as well.

Now, since Ooma is still a fairly new company, and they are yet to be profitable, and are constantly looking for, and getting financing, here is what happened in my opinion, I do not know anyone who works for Ooma or who finances Ooma.

I think they designed the Telo, and with a cost of $250 and there is probably enough of a profit margin in the Telo that the they were able to release it as envisioned. The Exec's then look at the phone and think its nice, but are not happy with the profit margin on the phone. The price point of $50 is high enough that if they go any higher no one will buy one, so the execs asked to make changes to the phone to make it cheaper to manufacturer at the last minute. They change the ring around the arrow keys and take the illumination out which saves $$$ and throw in a cheap LCD which saves $$$ and tada, Ooma now has its financing. To make the phone as pictured I would guess it would raise the price $5 or $10 which would make it unsellable.

Honestly if I was Ooma I would rather hold off on the release of the phone to make it the way it was intended than to make a phone that looks as cheap and second rate as this handset. It looks like something you would get in a Dollar store, thats how cheap the LCD makes the phone look. I can overlook everything else lacking on the phone design from the picture, but I would be really embarrassed if I was Ooma.
#42459 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm
JTalbert wrote:
amoney wrote:I understand what people are referring to as edges are not smooth but, over all I disagree, the phone is pretty much as pictured. Perhaps not exactly to the detail but I dont think its way off design. The edge thing, not sure if people are referring to the side profile or the push buttons? I do agree the Telo handset design is not as ergonomical/functional as modern day phones... large LCD and all.

The design is different enough that a new picture should have been put on the box. The biggest most drastic change between the photo phone and the real phone is the LCD. The photo shows a dark LCD with white text, with a bold font that is easy to read and even the you have voicemail text on the photo is different than what is displayed on the phone. The one other major change is the ring around the arrow keys, from the photo thats backlit as well.

Now, since Ooma is still a fairly new company, and they are yet to be profitable, and are constantly looking for, and getting financing, here is what happened in my opinion, I do not know anyone who works for Ooma or who finances Ooma.

Ooma execs are working on designing and coming out with a new product, the Telo, and the envision is to have it a base with a DECT 6.0 base station built in that can handle multiple handsets. They design the Telo, and not much if anything is changed from the base. It costs $250 and there is probably enough of a profit margin in the Telo that the companies that will finance Ooma are satisfied. The finance companies then look at the phone and think its nice, but are not happy with the profit margin on the phone. The price point of $50 is high enough that if they go any higher no one will buy one, so Ooma is asked to make changes to the phone to make it cheaper to Manufacturer. They change the ring around the arrow keys and take the illumination out which saves $$$ and throw in a cheap LCD which saves $$$ and tada, Ooma now has its financing. To make the phone as pictured I would guess it would raise the price $5 or $10 which would make it unsellable.

Honestly if I was Ooma I would rather hold off on the release of the phone to make it the way it was intended than to make a phone that looks as cheap and second rate as this handset. It looks like something you would get in a Dollar store, thats how cheap the LCD makes the phone look. I can overlook everything else lacking on the phone design from the picture, but I would be really embarrassed if I was Ooma.

I can agree with your feelings. I was initially going to at least try, luckily the multi handset fiasco made me not even waste my time (coincedently even saved Ooma money from not having to return a product). I would not be able to tolerate a handset like that. It probably would have ruined my opinion of Ooma if I did try.

I agree that LCD is really bad. LCD's are not that expensive. I agree with your hypothesis, but it may be more than that, it is the cost of manufacturing... I dont think Ooma can order the large quantities that will get them lower manufacturing costs... or for that matter manufacturing quality.