Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#42228 by joedaddy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 pm
I have ATT DSL. If I port that number to Ooma. What happens?

I know the number ports to Ooma, but what happens to my ATT account?
Can I just get a new phone number and keep the DSL active without the ATT guy coming into my house, etc?

I need a landline for my house alarm, so having this second/backup line is no big deal..

Also, I bought my Ooma Telo from Costco..
If I signed up for Premier, do I lose few months I have left on my trial or does it extend it?
Also what happens to the international calling credit?

Thanks in advance...
#42230 by murphy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 pm
Premier begins when the free trial of Premier ends. You won't lose anything.
#42245 by amoney
Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 pm
It is generally assumed if you PORT your dsl number, you will lose your dsl service, you will have to first complete the seperation of services into their own account numbers.

Recently there has been a thread (cant find it) that indicates the phone company will automatically roll the dsl service to what is called "dry-loop" account. I would proceed with extreme caution going this route. Again its safer to first seperate your landline/dsl service.
#42315 by tommies
Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:19 pm
joedaddy wrote:I have ATT DSL. If I port that number to Ooma. What happens?

Can I just get a new phone number and keep the DSL active without the ATT guy coming into my house, etc?

I need a landline for my house alarm, so having this second/backup line is no big deal..

Thanks in advance...

You need to call ATT CS and tell them you want to port your current number out to another carrier(voip) and you want to keep the their DSL service + a basic land line (with a different number)

I also have ATT DSL+land line, and when I called, my land line number was put on a dummy account till it ported and my DSL was put on a new account with a new number. It's called dry loop DSL, and there was no technician come out to my house.

For ATT DSL, it's essential that the dry loop is done before the port happend. Unfortunately that mean your current number will be inaccessible in between (for me it waw nearly 3 weeks)

amoney wrote:It is generally assumed if you PORT your dsl number, you will lose your dsl service, you will have to first complete the seperation of services into their own account numbers.

Recently there has been a thread (cant find it) that indicates the phone company will automatically roll the dsl service to what is called "dry-loop" account. I would proceed with extreme caution going this route. Again its safer to first seperate your landline/dsl service.

I believe it's Verizon DSL and maybe Qwest DSL too, but for ATT DSL, a dry loop has to be done prior.
#42323 by amoney
Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:07 pm
tommies wrote:
joedaddy wrote:I have ATT DSL. If I port that number to Ooma. What happens?

Thanks in advance...

You need to call ATT CS and tell them you want to port your current number out to another carrier(voip) and you want to keep the their DSL service + a basic land line (with a different number)

I also have ATT DSL+land line, and when I called, my land line number was put on a dummy account till it ported and my DSL was put on a new account with a new number. It's called dry loop DSL, and there was no technician come out to my house.

For ATT DSL, it's essential that the dry loop is done before the port happend. Unfortunately that mean your current number will be inaccessible in between (for me it waw nearly 3 weeks)

amoney wrote:It is generally assumed if you PORT your dsl number, you will lose your dsl service, you will have to first complete the seperation of services into their own account numbers.

I believe it's Verizon DSL and maybe Qwest DSL too, but for ATT DSL, a dry loop has to be done prior.

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was Verizon I read about, I just cant find that recent thread, I will try again with different key words.

Anyways, i was wondering about your comment ...keep the their DSL service + a basic land line (with a different number)...

I understand spliting the service, where the DSL service gets a new account number (phone number), the original landline number becomes a seperate account which will eventually get PORTED over.

I just did not understand getting a basic line with different number, perhaps a misread, or did you mean the DSL gets a different number.
#42344 by tommies
Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 am
joedaddy wrote:I need a landline for my house alarm, so having this second/backup line is no big deal..

You said this, so the second/backup line has to have a new number, and the DSL can be bundle together