Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#42165 by QoS
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 am
The number porting process if you have combined DSL/local service (which is the norm) is a bit of a cluster f*** with Ooma. First I had to get a new DSL line installed (I now have two POTS loops in my house), because if you port the number from your existing line, your DSL service terminates. That meant new service, credit check, and an A&T installer in my house for 45 minutes.

Once I'd put in the order for new bare DSL service, I started the porting process with Ooma. I'd already had the system running for a few weeks with a new number I chose through Ooma. Note that it was not temporary-while-number-port-in-progress number. I spoke to an AT&T rep on 31 December, and they said that they had released the number, and the ball was in Ooma's court. I then got an e-mail from the Ooma porting group that said the number would be ported 14 January. I don't know why took Ooma that long. The porting group has one-way form letter communication with customers -- that all. The Ooma reps cannot communicate with the porting group. For the duration of Ooma's thumb twiddling I had to pay for two DSL lines.

Finally the number was ported on the appointed day, and Ooma deactivated my original number! Remember, I didn't choose that as a temporary number. I have the 6-month Premier trial, which supports two numbers. I called Ooma CS back, and they promised that the number would be reactivated in 24-48 hours. It's been over 48 hours, and still, nothing. They haven't done a damn thing. Should I expect anything to happen over the weekend?

Why did they deactivate my original number? Why? And why can't they seem to reactivate it? This is basic stuff that Ooma can't seem to get right. Does Ooma plan to support business customers at some point? They have a long way to go.
#42170 by QoS
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:56 am
Update: I just spoke to a rep who reactivated the original phone number. Apparently the original rep couldn't make it happen, and submitted a trouble ticket. In other words, the original request went into a black hole.

Someone on another thread suggested calling back to get a CS rep who can figure out what needs to be done if the original rep cannot. Kudos to that guy.
#42200 by VicMatson
Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:54 pm
QoS wrote:Update: I just spoke to a rep who reactivated the original phone number. Apparently the original rep couldn't make it happen, and submitted a trouble ticket. In other words, the original request went into a black hole.

Someone on another thread suggested calling back to get a CS rep who can figure out what needs to be done if the original rep cannot. Kudos to that guy.
Mention that you've been attempting to do it several times, you never know it may get sent to a higher level rep. Naturally during normal PST working hours.
#42205 by amoney
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:22 pm
I selected new Ooma number during activation, and chose to seperately PORT later.

After PORTING was complete. I also lost my new Ooma number. Other people seemingly get to keep there original OOma number. I even selected purchase Premier at the same time of PORT. You would think the original number would automaticly roll over to a second number.

Anyways...
#42226 by murphy
Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Call CS and tell them that you wanted to keep the number.
#42235 by QoS
Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 pm
amoney, what murphy said. Your experience is the same as mine. Note that even though they deactivated your number, they did not release it. It is still associated with your account. If you get a customer service representative with a clue, they will be able to reactivate that number as your account's second number. After that, when it shows up in your number list on My Oooma, you can chose which number you want as your primary number (i.e., what caller ID gets sent when you make an outgoing call) or distinctive ring per number.

Or you can presumably chose a completely new second number, if you wish.

If you don't renew Premier, your second number will be deactivated. I assume it will remain associated with your account in case you want to re-add it, but I'm not certain of that.
#42249 by amoney
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 pm
QoS wrote:amoney, what murphy said. Your experience is the same as mine. Note that even though they deactivated your number, they did not release it. It is still associated with your account. If you get a customer service representative with a clue, they will be able to reactivate that number as your account's second number. After that, when it shows up in your number list on My Oooma, you can chose which number you want as your primary number (i.e., what caller ID gets sent when you make an outgoing call) or distinctive ring per number.

Or you can presumably chose a completely new second number, if you wish.

If you don't renew Premier, your second number will be deactivated. I assume it will remain associated with your account in case you want to re-add it, but I'm not certain of that.

It was not that critical, otherwise I would have flipped the f out and called customer service.

Thanks for the info.

:D