Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#42013 by larrys1
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 am
I just purchased Ooma Hub from Costco for 199.99 and now realize there is a newer Telo box. Is it worth it for me to return the Hub and get the newer Telo? Are there any advantages/disadvantages?
#42017 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 am
I actually selected the Hub over the Telo because of a few things.
1. No $12/yr regulatory fee on non-Costco ooma Hubs. Obviously, this may not apply to you since you bought the Hub from Costco. There is a post floating around with the specifics, I'll try to find it for you in a minute.
2. I preferred the way Scouts work over the way Telo Handsets work.
3. I wanted to choose my own phones, not be limited to Telo Handsets.

There are other differences too, which didn't necessarily apply to me. Can't think of 'em ALL at the minute. I'll rely on others more knowledgeable than I, to point them out.

Hope this helps.
omatic
#42021 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:56 am
I found the information to which I'd previously referred, about the regulatory fees. It's in this blog post by Rich Buchanan on October 2nd, 2009, about the then-new TOS changes:

http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/02/how-oomas-terms-conditions-affect-current-new-ooma-customers/

NOTE: Hopefully most everything there is still accurate. However, one thing at least did change: On October 21st, Rich posted that ooma had backtracked on dropping Voicemail for non-premier customers. that is, at least some level of voicemail was restored in the TOS, for all accounts:

http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/21/free-voice-mail-for-all-ooma-users/

Now that I look at it, there was a lot of useful information in October 2009's blog posts. So for convenience's sake, here's a link to the archive page for that month: http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/
#42034 by larrys1
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 pm
Thanks for the info. Looks like there isn't alot of difference now between the Hub and Telo. I could've gone for either one. I just don't know if HD Voice and some of the other features in the Telo make it better. I still have time to return my Hub to Costco and pick up a Telo. Can you use ANY phone with the Telo or do you have to use the Telo Handset?
#42036 by hpepper
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:46 pm
larrys1 wrote:Thanks for the info. Looks like there isn't alot of difference now between the Hub and Telo. I could've gone for either one. I just don't know if HD Voice and some of the other features in the Telo make it better. I still have time to return my Hub to Costco and pick up a Telo. Can you use ANY phone with the Telo or do you have to use the Telo Handset?

You can use ANY phone (Wired or Wireless) on line one of the hardwire jack on the Telo but you can only use the Telo handset as the second line/wireless phone - at least for now anyway.
#42037 by bw1
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 pm
You can use any phone connected to the phone port on the Telo, just like the Hub.

If your Hub is the Costco Hub only product sold in the stores, then you will be subject to the $11.75 per year fee after the 1st year, same as the Telo.

The only way to avoid that is to purchase a new Ooma Core hub and scout combo, that are still available at some stores and online.

If you were to purchase a Telo and decide not to get Premier, you won't get Caller ID name (CNAM) with the Telo, while you still get that with the Hub (both Hub only and Core) without Premier.

The advantage to the Telo, is that there will be new development in the future that may not work with the Hub, for example, Google Voice Extensions.
#42038 by Mike-o-Matic
Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm
Yes, the Telo supports any standard phones (corded or cordless) through the "phone" jack on the back. See step 3 in the quick start guide: http://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files/OomaTeloQSG-2009.pdf That works the same as the Hub.

The additional "trick" that the Telo knows is that it can communicate with Telo cordless handsets inherently, no base station required. That's one way it differs from the Hub.

It's also cool to note, either the Hub or the Telo can distribute dialtone to all the phone extensions in your house. You want to be sure to disconnect your phone company's plug at the (usually green) network interface box outside your home, if you do this. Stray voltage can still be on the line and interfere with your ooma's operation, if you don't. An exhaustive how-to is available, here:
http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgebase/distributing-ooma-dialtone-all-phone-jacks

This is useful if you want to use multiple phones, brands of phones, or a standalone answering machine.
#42055 by larrys1
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:44 pm
It actually sounds to me that most Ooma folks don't really care one way or the other which box they have, Telo or Hub. Most seem concerned with whether or not you have annual fees or not. Personally, $12 per year is a small price to pay vs. $500 per year with the phone company. I just want a clear, drop-free phone that doesn't have per month fees. If Telo is more clear with more advanced features, then that would be the one I want. But the Hub seems to work fine. Thanks again for the info!
#42086 by dsinternet
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm
I have never had the Hub and I love the Telo
I would vote for the Telo. Its the newer one with all the new bells and whistles. It is easer for Ooma to update and add features to the Telo. The Hub is so 2008. Move up to 2010 with the Telo. :D
I also have Google Voice and that will work well with the Telo in the future.
Once again, I have never owned a Hub.
#42096 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 pm
I have both the hub/scout package and the Telo. I love both but recently made the decision to focus on the Telo and eventually I will use it exclusively. I am not too fond of the Telo handsets but they keep getting better with each software update that is pushed automatically from ooma. I am also looking forward to new features that will be made available to Telo users but may not be available for the hub due to hardware limitations. But as a very cost effective, high quality replacement for ma bell, either device is a winner!