Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#41582 by melgrant
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 pm
So far my experience with Ooma is dismal. Found the installation instructions didn't match my set up,which took some time to work out. I live in a city large enough to have four different area codes (calls to/from these area codes are not charged long distance rates) but Ooma could not come up with a number for me in ANY of the four area codes, so I wound up with a number in an area code far to the south. This means that my next door neighbor has to pay long distance charges to call me.

Biggest frustration so far: on 11/28/09 i submitted the request to port my home number. Here we are, 7 weeks or so later, and my home number hasn't been ported, nor have I received any word from Ooma, other than one I got just after submitting the porting request acknowledging that I'd made the request.

I can't go on living with a number that is a long distance charge to absolutely every person I would ever receive a call from. My kid's elementary school staff has to get permission just to call me -- they aren't authorized to make long distance calls without prior approval. This is ridiculous.

What magic words do I have to say to get this done?
#41596 by AZdevil
Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:53 pm
I hear you on the number. I live in Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the US and we have multiple area codes as well. The only number I can get is from a city 140 miles away.
#41608 by Potts
Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:34 am
I had the same issue. I called Ooma and they ordered a local calling number. It took a few weeks, but they replaced it for free.

As far as porting. I fully understand your frustrations. Again you need to call CS.
Last edited by Potts on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
#41612 by byersthja
Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:58 am
melgrant wrote:Biggest frustration so far: on 11/28/09 i submitted the request to port my home number. Here we are, 7 weeks or so later, and my home number hasn't been ported, nor have I received any word from Ooma, other than one I got just after submitting the porting request acknowledging that I'd made the request.

What magic words do I have to say to get this done?

Why wait so long without calling customer service. I realize Ooma needs to do a better job keeping people in the loop, but why not call them to find out what's going on? My number was supposed to port on January 7. When it didn't happen, I called them on the 8th, and got a ticket number. I got an email a few hours later stating that my port was rejected due to a pending order with Verizon. I agree that Ooma should have informed me of this as soon as they had this information, but had I not called them, I would still be waiting. Ooma had to resubmit my port request and I now have a new port date of January 25. I will be calling them today to check on it. If Verizon rejected the port request again, I want to know about it so I can get on their case. Email is a great thing, but a phone call to the right person is even better.