Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
#42067 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:15 pm
med458 wrote:Customer service is so bad, it is just unbelievable. Their words and their tone make you believe they want to help you but they either 1) do not want to help you and are lying, or 2) are unable to help due to some other unknown issue. I question their sincerity however, because they promise to call you back after they resolve an issue, but never do call you back. They should at least call back to inform you they can't help you, if they promised they would call you back.

When my mother first got OOMA, she could not make or receive calls for the life of her. OOMA tech support had no answers for her at all. They all promised they would call her back. They gave timeframes "we will call you back within 24 hours". They NEVER called her back. She finally got things working after I told her to disable the firewall in her cable modem/router. Why would they not call my mother back? Why couldn't they tell her to try that simple solution? Disappointing, shameful, and dishonorable.

Now my issue is that I submitted a port request back on about the 29th of December. That same day, I submitted a port request for my wife's phone with a prepaid cellular company called Net10. How long did it take Net10 to complete the port request? ABOUT 3 HOURS (SAME DAY). How long did it take the fail ooma porting team to complete my port? THEY STILL HAVEN'T DONE IT. They said it would be done by 1-14. Then I receive an email indicating that because they failed to collect all the necessary information from me, it will take 2 extra weeks! Unbelievable!!! The problem is they needed my Verizon account number. Net10 asked for this online when I requested the port, but I guess amateur-hour OOMA porting department just plans on delaying everyone's port for weeks and weeks. They can do it in hours like Net10 did if they actually care enough to provide anything resembling good service.

So I called and emailed on 1-14 to make sure it would be completed on 1-14. I spoke with a "supervisor" who said he would do his best to get it done. Did they get it done? Of course not. He said he would call me back within 48 hours, but I'm not holding my breath on that, given my mom's experience.

They know I have a deadline to get the port completed because I have to cancel my Verizon service very soon to avoid excessive early termination fees. They could help me and get the port done right away if they wanted to. Such incredible FAIL!

Just for the record I did receive a call back from Ooma customer service regarding a issue I had.

But I agree that Ooma does have issues.

There is a reason why landline porting take longer than cellular numbers. Bottom line it is out of Ooma's control.

(I see others have chimmed in with the same answer).

I dont understand your early cancellation fees... typically you avoid early cancellation fees after a deadline, not before. Did you just get a verizon number and are in a 30 day cancel window???

I am getting the sense that it is out of Ooma's control and/or not all the blame belongs to Ooma.
#42090 by med458
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:46 pm
I was unclear in my previous explanation of what is going on.

My wife and I both have Verizon wireless, we are both switching over to Net10 prepaid. I just renewed the Verizon contract and have 30 days after renewing to cancel or I will be hit with hefty ETF fees.

She ported her number FROM Verizon TO Net10. This took 2 or 3 hours after I submitted the request to Net10. It probably went smoothly because Net10 had the foresight to ask for the account number on the port request webpage because Verizon always needs this information for the port to be successful. You cannot enter the account number on the OOMA port request webpage even though Verizon needs this for every port. I suspect that every Verizon > OOMA port fails for this reason, or at least many of them do. It is amazing that they don't update the page to request this vital information.

I am just going to keep the new telephone number that Net10 gives me when I activate my new Cell phone.

I wanted to port my cell number FROM Verizon TO OOMA. What a nightmare.

To avoid a $350 early termination fee, I need to return my equipment to Verizon very soon and ask that they cancel my service. But I can't cancel my service to avoid the early termination fee until incompetent OOMA completes the port. I do not think I am being unreasonable. I ported a number from Qwest once to Verizon, it took about a week. I ported a number from Verizon to Net10, it took 2 or 3 hours. OOMA wants more than a month? Give me a break. Its a good thing they have a monopoly on the free VOIP market, but as soon as a competitor hits the scene, if they have halfway decent service, OOMA will be a thing of the past if they don't get it together.

Even if OOMA's port request webpage asks for all required information, it does not take 3-4 weeks to complete a port request. Come on. And since they didn't ask for the requested information, they moved the target date ahead two weeks! LOLWAT?

The fact is that they simply refuse to even lift a finger and submit the request to Verizon until the 28th. There is no reason why they need to sit on their hands until that date.

And I am not sure what good calling the CA Atty Gen would do, since I don't live in CA.
#42092 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm
med458 wrote: I was unclear in my previous explanation of what is going on.

My wife and I both have Verizon wireless, we are both switching over to Net10 prepaid. I just renewed the Verizon contract and have 30 days after renewing to cancel or I will be hit with hefty ETF fees.

She ported her number FROM Verizon TO Net10. This took 2 or 3 hours after I submitted the request to Net10. It probably went smoothly because Net10 had the foresight to ask for the account number on the port request webpage because Verizon always needs this information for the port to be successful. You cannot enter the account number on the OOMA port request webpage even though Verizon needs this for every port. I suspect that every Verizon > OOMA port fails for this reason, or at least many of them do. It is amazing that they don't update the page to request this vital information.

I am just going to keep the new telephone number that Net10 gives me when I activate my new Cell phone.

I wanted to port my cell number FROM Verizon TO OOMA. What a nightmare.

The regulations on porting from a cell phone to a cell phone are much different than those to VOIP or landline. Since you are going to use Net10 anyways, why not port your number to Net10 right away and then at your convenience, port the number (that will then be on Net10) to ooma. That way you avoid the ETF and still keep your number. I use Net10 as well - in fact, many people on this forum do because of a method I found for getting the service for just $5.50 a month.
#42093 by med458
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm
Holy cow, $5.50 a month for Net10? The best I know of is doing the auto-recharge for $15.00 per month which gives you 150 minutes and 30 days. Is your $5.50 method something you can share or is it a loophole that might get patched if it gets out? If you can share the method, please do :-).
#42095 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm
med458 wrote:Holy cow, $5.50 a month for Net10? The best I know of is doing the auto-recharge for $15.00 per month which gives you 150 minutes and 30 days. Is your $5.50 method something you can share or is it a loophole that might get patched if it gets out? If you can share the method, please do :-).

No loophole. Totally legal and supported by Net10. Out of respect for the ooma mods I will not post it here, but PM me if you would like details. I have no financial connection to Net10 or any other company.
#42758 by sbrinsfi
Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm
I am furious.

Follow me here.

I purchased a Telo on Friday Jan. 15th and activated. One day later the Telo no longer powers up. I return it to Best Buy and exchange it for another Telo and activate. One day later it no longer powers up. I return it to Best Buy and this time,(thinking there is a problem with Telo's), exchange it for an ooma hub. I activate and all is well.

Knowing that I now have 3 active accounts, I call ooma support and open a ticket asking for them to cancel my previous two Telo devices. Guess what, they cancelled my active ooma hub and did not cancel the Telo's.

I now have no phone service and the best customer support can give me is that I can expect a call back in 24 to 48 hours. Funny, this is the same thing they told me when they were to cancel the first two accounts. That they would call me back, but no call and now I have no phone service.

Funny thing, I asked the CS rep what number they had for my call back and it was the number they had cancelled! How was that supposed to work?

Anyway, ridiculous that this happened. A mistake on their part and it takes 48 hours to reactivate a device that I activated online in less than 5 minutes?

The device is great. Works well, but if a company cannot support their product then what is the point. I am now considering the return of this hub and will probably just stay with Vonage.

I am furious!
#42763 by ntoy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:12 pm
Hello sbrinsfi,

I apologize for the mix up. There is no excuse for what has happened, but mistakes do happen.
If you will give us another chance, I can reset your Ooma hub to allow you to re-activate/re-register.

Please send me a personal email.

Again, I'm sorry and will provide feedback to our teams for further improvements.
#42777 by amoney
Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 pm
sbrinsfi wrote:I am furious.

Follow me here.

I purchased a Telo on Friday Jan. 15th and activated. One day later the Telo no longer powers up. I return it to Best Buy and exchange it for another Telo and activate. One day later it no longer powers up. I return it to Best Buy and this time,(thinking there is a problem with Telo's), exchange it for an ooma hub. I activate and all is well.

Knowing that I now have 3 active accounts, I call ooma support and open a ticket asking for them to cancel my previous two Telo devices. Guess what, they cancelled my active ooma hub and did not cancel the Telo's.

I now have no phone service and the best customer support can give me is that I can expect a call back in 24 to 48 hours. Funny, this is the same thing they told me when they were to cancel the first two accounts. That they would call me back, but no call and now I have no phone service.

Funny thing, I asked the CS rep what number they had for my call back and it was the number they had cancelled! How was that supposed to work?

Anyway, ridiculous that this happened. A mistake on their part and it takes 48 hours to reactivate a device that I activated online in less than 5 minutes?

The device is great. Works well, but if a company cannot support their product then what is the point. I am now considering the return of this hub and will probably just stay with Vonage.

I am furious!

Understood.

Perhaps a recommendation for other people who have a similar issue, that when they activate a replacement device that they call customer service instead and explain the situation, customer service should then on the spot move the account to the new device and verify call functionality. Just as the question posed regarding original HUB users upgrading to the new Telo, the account info is transferred to the new device (or simply customer service updates the new device MAC id).
#42782 by Soundjudgment
Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:17 pm
Bravo.
ntoy is always on the job!